The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the new "showmanship" forum, maybe we should also consider putting at least a sub-forum up for Sporthorse/Warmblood breeds/breeding?

Many people on this forum breed and ride these horses. I personally feel we should have a place to discuss Sporthorse bloodlines and breeding, like the draft horse sub-forum, the mini horse sub-forum and the gaited horse sub-forum. Like these breeds, Sporthorses are bred for different reasons than regular light horses and so should have their own place for discussion on the board. Currently any discussions that take place about breeding these horses occur in different places and it would be nice to consolidate them into one place.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
Interesting idea, thanks ~*~anebel~*~.

What does everyone think? Are issues/information related to sporthorses unique enough to warrant an additional sub forum under Horse Breeds?

·
Banned
5,526 Posts

What does everyone think? Are issues/information related to sporthorses unique enough to warrant an additional sub forum under Horse Breeds?

Lets say that if something is set up here I would probably not go elsewhere.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
LOL that's a riddle and a half Spyder! Or I need more coffee....

I don't see why not... there are other breed subforums... it can't hurt, can it?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It is a different world. It is not unreasonable for a well bred sport horse with a show record to be sold at 5 years old for $60,000.
The bloodlines are so different, the purpose for the horses are so different and the price point is so different from most breeds traditionally in North America.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

I personally don't think so. There aren't many sporthorse people on this forum, and if a sporthorse section was put up people may want thoroughbred sections etc. It doesn't hurt to post a sporthorse-related thread in the general horse breeding section, if someone knows about them then they can click on the thread and if they don't then they don't. An entirely different section is unnecessary in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is why I said I will go elsewhere. I don't even come here as often as I used to.
Yeeeap.

I think tucking away a section for sport horses would be good. I don't read the breed/breeding sections because there is usually nothing there SH related. So if there ever is a SH thread, it gets overlooked by me (and I'm assuming others).
If we want a more all-round audience we need more SH/dressage/jumper people and to get them you have to have a place to talk about the breeding of these horses.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Oh lord, I dont think this forum needs more subforums. Other breeds can sell for alot in there circut and HELLO all breeds have different bloodlines and many many breeds compete in ALOT of different disciplines. Sporthorses are no more special just because some people consider them better than other breeds and need to have in depth pshychological conversations about there superioty because they own one.
I think a "sticky" will suffice fine enough.
Plus if they are that different and expensive I doubt many people have them and the sub forum will turn out to be "look at me" or "boy i wish i could have 1!!"

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeeeap.

I think tucking away a section for sport horses would be good. I don't read the breed/breeding sections because there is usually nothing there SH related. So if there ever is a SH thread, it gets overlooked by me (and I'm assuming others).
If we want a more all-round audience we need more SH/dressage/jumper people and to get them you have to have a place to talk about the breeding of these horses.
I just think this is not that kind of forum. The only way to get that kind of audience is to advertise to them, and I believe there would be conflict between the 'fresh' members and the 'older' members who are used to a more relaxed environment. There are many other forums that are already SH oriented, so it wouldn't make sense to turn this forum into another one. There are very little SH threads because there is very little interest in SH information here, creating a sub-section would not help that. Also, I think the post above me illustrates the common conflict the sporthorse section would create :roll:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just think this is not that kind of forum. The only way to get that kind of audience is to advertise to them, and I believe there would be conflict between the 'fresh' members and the 'older' members who are used to a more relaxed environment. There are many other forums that are already SH oriented, so it wouldn't make sense to turn this forum into another one. There are very little SH threads because there is very little interest in SH information here, creating a sub-section would not help that. Also, I think the post above me illustrates the common conflict the sporthorse section would create :roll:
Hey thanks I very much appreciate the last line that is laced with wrongly placed judgement, but I have to agree with everything else.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hey thanks I very much appreciate the last line that is laced with wrongly placed judgement, but I have to agree with everything else.
I think the same could be said for you, but that is a topic for another day.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Oh lord, I dont think this forum needs more subforums. Other breeds can sell for alot in there circut and HELLO all breeds have different bloodlines and many many breeds compete in ALOT of different disciplines. Sporthorses are no more special just because some people consider them better than other breeds and need to have in depth pshychological conversations about there superioty because they own one.
I think a "sticky" will suffice fine enough.
Plus if they are that different and expensive I doubt many people have them and the sub forum will turn out to be "look at me" or "boy i wish i could have 1!!"

First no one has said that they are special, just that they exist. Personally we should just get rid of all the breed sub forums as no one is 'special" enough to have a seperate section.

And yes there are other forums that have sections related to sporthorses/warmbloods and those are the ones I go to, as this forum caters mostly to the western breeds.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See I think that a SH sub-forum would eliminate this need for fighting. Then we'd be n our world and you'd be in yours.
I just don't like posting threads about SH breeds/breeding in the breeds/breeding sections and getting flamed for whatever reason.

If I am going to be posting a thread about breeding, I go to another forum. I would prefer not to because this one is free of Rolkur-nazis and other strange phenomena by-produced by dressage land.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thinking about it, I think I might enjoy a separate section. It may not get much activity, but I prefer the environment on this forum to that of some more cut-throat dressage forums.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I don't own a Sport Horse, but I love them

Being an Eventer they are very prevalant in the sport, and I for one would love a sport horse section to beable to discuss the breed and how they are making a huge mark in the Eventing World.

I for one vote for a SH section.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Awesome! Sport horses/Warmbloods now they are my type of horses. I am totally for a seperate Sport Horse section.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.