The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoroughbred mare, has these spots on her hinds, its on both sides and she's losing hair. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem, and what is the correct method to cure this. i will post a pic, tho the quality is not the greatest.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya they are not perfectly round, but they are like 1 inch by 1 inch spots, if it was ring worm, wouldnt i get ring worm from touching the spots?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It could definitely be rain rot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you could. Ringworm is a fungus, and it's transferable between species.
Ya its been around since november,and I haven't got ringworm yet, actually come to think of it, this only started once we started blanketing her, could it have been from mold on the blanket?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Lysol could be a skin irritant... Buy blanket wash (to protect the blanket's waterproofing, etc.) and wash it in the laundry machine. Hang it up to dry... I'd also recommend buying an antibacterial horse shampoo and scrubbing every inch of her with a curry comb and warm water. Rinse her well. Do it daily for about a week. Since it's cold, use a clean cooler or towel and help her dry off. Don't put the blanket back on while she's still wet.

Is she up to date on deworming, vaccinations, etc.?

If the problem persists, contact your veterinarian.

Also, rain rot is not always "scabby." If it is rain rot, get and antimicrobial shampoo and scrub it. Take pick off the hair and make sure you wash it. I've dealt with rain rot before, and this is what fixes it. Also, rain rot generally has something to do with the horse not getting enough of the nutrition it needs... particularly vitamin A, I believe.

What's her diet like?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lysol could be a skin irritant... Buy blanket wash (to protect the blanket's waterproofing, etc.) and wash it in the laundry machine. Hang it up to dry... I'd also recommend buying an antibacterial horse shampoo and scrubbing every inch of her with a curry comb and warm water. Rinse her well. Do it daily for about a week. Since it's cold, use a clean cooler or towel and help her dry off. Don't put the blanket back on while she's still wet.

Is she up to date on deworming, vaccinations, etc.?

If the problem persists, contact your veterinarian.

Also, rain rot is not always "scabby." If it is rain rot, get and antimicrobial shampoo and scrub it. Take pick off the hair and make sure you wash it. I've dealt with rain rot before, and this is what fixes it. Also, rain rot generally has something to do with the horse not getting enough of the nutrition it needs... particularly vitamin A, I believe.

What's her diet like?
Her diet is very good. On high quality hay with grass and 60 percent alfalfa. Also on a feed called cool command which has all the minerals a horse needs beet pulp and some grain. I do no believe it is rain rot as I've dealt with it before and this is far different from what I've seen and dealt with. And its not ring worm either have seen and dealt with that as well. These spots are only around her flanks. Its seems to me her hair is growing back now that she is starting to shed out her winter coat. Could this be a winter thing only? I've started putting "dusting powder" on her to see if it helps. Any other ideas out there other than rain rot or ring worm?? Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lysol is one of the safer ones to use, it was actually originally designed as a "feminine hygiene" spray (fun fact of the day) and as long as you're just using it on the inside of the blankets you won't damage the waterproofing. Lysol is also a good idea for your brushes too incase it is some sort of skin irritant.

Note: I'm not saying, spray your horse down with lysol or put wet lysol on your horse, use it as you would in your house: clean the surface that your horse touches and let it dry before use. This has been a great way of clearing up skin issues with horses that have come through the barn here and also prevents the spread for horses that share brushes like our school horses.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My mini has what looks to be the same thing. I definitely dont think its rain scald, they are too round and no scabbing at all. I first noticed little round patches of hair that were shorter and obviously new hair growth and now have noticed a couple of new ones. The skin is not inflamed or red where the hair is missing and they are mostly around her hind end and inner legs. I did think of ringworm but she is all up to date with everything, I might get it vet checked just to be sure though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.