The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in “Horse Talk” as it does affect some feeding schedules and a lot of riding schedules(y):cool:(y):cool:

For those of us unfortunate enough to have to live through time change, we Spring Ahead one hour this coming Sunday, March 14th at 2:00 AM.

Most of us have at least one device that changes automatically but it’s still a handy thing to plan ahead for, if one has a job outside the home and children who have places to be:)

The Feds still have not approved the Bill that was introduced to stop this stupid time change, so most states will still have to put up with it.

I feel the most for the dairy farmers.

Anyway, if you nave clocks that don’t change themselves, Sunday March 14th is the day you want to Spring Anead one hour then go out and ride🐎🐎

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I must be in the minority as I always looked forward to DST that extra hour of daylight in the evening was so useful to me as I worked and doing chores an hour earlier in the morning was a good tradeoff so I could be out riding more in the evening.
I wish we could stay on DST all year. Now that I am retired it isn't as important as I can do things during the day but I still like having more daylight in the evening.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must be in the minority as I always looked forward to DST that extra hour of daylight in the evening was so useful to me as I worked and doing chores an hour earlier in the morning was a good tradeoff so I could be out riding more in the evening.
I wish we could stay on DST all year. Now that I am retired it isn't as important as I can do things during the day but I still like having more daylight in the evening.
My beef is the flipping back and forth from one time to the other. That all started during one of the wars - I think WWI to save on fuel so the military to could have it, instead of the power grid.

I prefer DST but I would be happy either way, if we just didn’t have to move the clocks twice a year:censored:

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I think in WW 11 they moved it ahead two hours to save even more,
One person mentioned when I complained and said it should stay on DST, that it would be dark for young school children when they go to school in the mornings, and since then I haven't done as much grousing as I can see the point of that.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I would prefer to stay on standard time. I live in a Northern area, and with DST our days can get very long. Meaning, it doesn't get dark, dark until 10 pm. Let's just stay on standard time, all of us, all of the time!
Nooooo, the later it gets dark, the better. I'm still a kid at heart, wanting to stay at the barn as late as possible on a summer evening. My friends and I will meet up after they get off work at 5 and we can ride until it's too dark to see. I want to stay on DST always. Don't really care about kids getting on buses in the dark, it's a good time of life to learn some mental fortitude. After all, kids used to have to walk for miles to get to school, in cold weather. In my opinion, life begins again when DST comes back, because I work night shift.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Meaning, it doesn't get dark, dark until 10 pm.
That's the part I like! In the heat and humidity of summer, it's not unusual to start a ride at 8 pm and ride until it's well after dark. It's when it finally cools enough to be decent to ride. Early Early morning was the choice in the desert but early morning here is just too soggy.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And here we are! WE HAVE SPRUNG AHEAD ONE HOUR!!

We are now operating one hour faster than we were yesterday.

That means the clock in my Saturn is correct and so is the clock in @JCnGrace 's UTV(y)(y)

My horses don't know it's now 8:00 AM, so I'm not late to the barn just yet.

I forgot about this time change when I told the clinic the vet could be here at 6:00 AM Monday, if he wanted to get an early start on his day -- he's a big beef cattle farmer & also does artificial insemination, so I hope he doesn't take me up on that:oops::oops:

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
I would say it all depends on your location.

While I hate that first few weeks of the return to darkness I do like having the "extra" daylight later. The best thing about regular time is light in the mornings... I hate feeding in the dark.

Toss up for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts