The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today was the first nice day that I've been able to ride my horse in the outside ring since last fall. So I expected him to look at EVERYTHING, be worried, and all the jazz, then settle down.

So I tacked him up, took him to the outside ring, walked him a VERY long time while he looked at everything, trotted him, and then a few girls came out to the ring also for the first half of their lesson. I walked him while they trotted and cantered, and soon after they left.

I stopped my horse to allow them all to leave the ring, and all of a sudden he started bucking, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, in place he just kept bucking! I tried to quiet him with my seat, one rein him, but he would just keep bucking, I told him to woah, talked to him and he just kept going.
I emergency dismounted cause I couldn't make him stop. When I was off he was like a bomb, I was standing with him trying to calm him and he kept running in circles around me and prancing and I could not consolidate him. I walked him back to the barn, he spooked at literally everything on the walk back in my hand, I grabbed a lunge rope and took him back to the out door ring. I lunged him, he bucked a few times, then bolted, then he came back and trotted and cantered civilized. I took him back to the barn and my trainer suggested I get back on [as other horses were now in the outdoor ring again" so I did, and walked and trotted. He was o.k. I went on a trail walk with a group of girls and he got ansy on the walk back..

But Idk what happend.. I could NOT consolidate him, pull him back, nothing he was simply terrified. I had to jump off cause I didn't know how much longer I could sit the bucks.

This is really weird behavior, indoors he does not exhibit this behaviour, I've just desensitized him to the indoor ring so that he's calm inside and now he's a nut outside! I was calm as a cucumber before he started to buck.

It's odd cause last fall when we got him he simply adored to be outside, he was perfectly fine with everything!

Anyone have any clues as to what happened and what I can do to prevent that from ever happening again.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I honestly don't know, this would be better answered if someone where they to watch and see exactly what happened, who was around, what was around etc. If you havn't rode him all winter, he could be testing you, or maybe was really itchy. He probably needs to be worked with a lot more, sounds like going all winter without riding has turned him sour, as would be expected.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It sounds like he could have been stung by a bee or bitten by something, considering you said you walked him around outside for along time before that happened.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Consolidate :lol: Sorry, that made me laugh. You mean console - consolidate is what you do with bank loans and companies.

Anyway, I agree with above - typically a reaction that violent and brief is indication of an insect bite. However, it can be very common for horses to otherwise be very mannerly and react suddenly in spring - typically though, I would expect this from a more novice seat, as you can definately feel the tension in them before an explosion.

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what may have gone wrong from your description. Was he giving signs you didn't notice? Was he actually bucking, or just crowhopping and shaking his head?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To Pechos: I've ridden him all winter, just inside.
To Macabre and Carleen: I never thought of a bug bite but that makes a lot of sense, the only other thing I could think of is I heard a car door shut right before he bombed, but he's not that explosive about car doors shutting. The only reason I think it could have possibly been the car door was because his back went hollow and he scooted himself a bit before he went into his rodeo show.

My guy is known for being a very anxious, hesitant, and nervous boy, he spooks at a lot of things, more by sight than by sound, and he usually full out over reacts when he spooks, bolting, bucking and crow hopping.

The first one he threw out was a full on buck, followed by some crow hops then another buck.

I didn't see any signs besides he was very alert.

But today I had my lesson on him outside, I fly sprayed him [It was really windy and still chilly on thrusday so I didn't have him fly sprayed] And I put on a fly bonnet, because that usually helps him pay more attention to me and he didn't spook or buck or anything, he was actually quite pokey [go figure]

Is there anyway that if he was stung by a bug I could check? Would it have left a prominent mark like on a person? [I've never dealt with stings to a horse]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.