·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8 months :D

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
He's a little cutie! Do you happen to know how tall he is?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
He has really filled out and straightened up quite a bit since the last post. He is a good looking little guy and ought to grow up nice and stout. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's a little cutie! Do you happen to know how tall he is?
I measured him last month at 13 hands, so by guess-timation I think he is atleast 13.2-13.3 now.

he is growing like a weed, I want to string test him but everyone says that doesnt work :lol:.

Dad was 14.3
Mom was 15.2

He already seems so big, and yet he is my first baby so I wouldnt know :D
His legs are much longer than his pasture buddy (Dusty the paint baby) who is 10 or 11 months (I forget which).

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I want to string test him but everyone says that doesnt work :lol:.
My grandpa swore by the string test. I wish that I could tell you if it worked on mine or not, but he is still a baby and he is my first as well. It says that he should mature to 17 hands though and that sounds about right. Mom is about 17.3 and Daddy was a QH and I don't know how tall he was.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He has really filled out and straightened up quite a bit since the last post. He is a good looking little guy and ought to grow up nice and stout. :D
Yeah the farrier said he is going to be pretty big. He (the farrier) isn't a huge fan of appaloosas but he told me Spud is the exception :D. His first trim ever (Eww; I know, it was not my fault though! lol) was last thursday and he just stood there and fell asleep, the farrier was so impressed!

He also told me Spud has amazing feet, they are prefect other than the fact that he toes out a bit in the back, and he had a lot of hoof growth for a colt his age, he told me he will look forward to doing him again which is nice to hear from a professional.

On another note I was very impressed with this farrier's work, he took his time and really did an amazing job. I watched him trim a few horses that day including shoes... and I'm very picky about feet :lol:.

to bad Spud doesnt have a better back end... its my biggest dislike so far about the little guy. Ah well, no horse is perfect!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
He seems like a giant compared to my 11 month old. I haven't measured her recently but the last time I measured her, I don't think she was even 13 hands yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He seems like a giant compared to my 11 month old. I haven't measured her recently but the last time I measured her, I don't think she was even 13 hands yet.
His pedigree is here:
Myspotsundetectable Appaloosa

I would have bet money on him staying solid but we have started to notice some signs. He has appy eyes (some white Sclera) he also has parti colored skin (only inside his mouth so far). LOl so I'm hoping he colors out, regardless he is well loved!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
He looks great FSL, growing to be a handsome guy. Toeing out in back is a good thing as long as it is not too severe, it helps his legs clear his ribs as he moves and gives him a longer more smooth stride. Can't wait to see this big guy all grown up!

Satin is like that too, she has mottled skin on her body and in her mouth and sclera on her eyes, but she has maybe a total of 6 or 7 spots on her and they are tiny like quarter sized or smaller... If that says anything he probably wont spot up too much...

What are you planning to do with him?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are you planning to do with him?
Thank you very much. I have, and still am, really reading up on equine nutrition. I want him to grow up nice, but without issues or growing to fast.
He gets pretty much free choice timothy/orchard grass hay its very nice quality.
He also gets fed Purina Omelene 300 growth feed and he is really looking good. His pasture buddy has growth issues with his legs so the barn owner really trys to limit thier grain intake instead she feeds them the free choice hay and enough grain to make up for what the hay lacks.
Right now he lives outside 24/7 with his bud but as he grows and needs more grain/food I will have to stall him at night to make sure he gets what he needs. He likes living outside though with his giant shed!

Also I read that many of those who prep yearlings for the yearling sales and those who show weanling/yearlings do indeed deworm every month like my vet recommended. So that is what we are doing. :D

I'm learning a lot by having him, thats for sure!

Anyway; I plan on doing whatever Spud likes best. I hope it will be Hunter Under Saddle or Western Pleasure but again; whatever he likes is fine with me.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I'm not usually a fan of stocky horses, but his face is so sweet. He looks like he'll grow up to make a nice western horse of some kind.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I love babies. And I especially love the always adorable passed out foal pictures. =D I always loved getting to the barn in time to see Gracie when she was sprawled out in her stall, snoring up a storm. No doubt keeping my mare up, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts