The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to get out on the snowmobile trails early in the morning before the spring sun softens the hard packed snow and ice. He is well shod to handle any footing mother nature can throw at him. The sound of his feet in the hard packed snow or the spraying of ice chips under this studs are all music to my ears.
Not yesterday morning. All I could hear is the squeak squeak of the saddle, drowning out all other lovely sounds. It bugged the crap out of me for 3 hours.
I got the bright idea to take my silicon spray, the one you use for weather stripping on your car or anything else that needs lubricating and spray it in the area of the squeak on my saddle. It will not hurt leather or the fabric that alot of my saddle is made from. I also decided to spray it on both sides, if one squeaks how long before the other starts.
This morning once again I could hear his feet striking the hard packed snow or the studs biting into the ice.
All noise was gone, So if you have an annoying squeak give silicon, the automotive product and try and hopefully your results will be like mine.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats sounds like a good idea :D The owner of a small tack store told me that you could use baby powder to stop the squeak? Never tried it though...

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I don't know that I would put silicon on leather though. I have been told that baby powder between the leather works well.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I'm a little uncomfortable using a silicon product on a saddle. I'm thinking that it can change the color, especially on a light saddle. I've always used the baby powder method but it's not that easy to find real baby powder anymore. Most of the baby stuff is corn starch which doesn't work well. I couldn't find the real stuff at Walmart but did at a regular pharmacy. One application and the squeak is gone forever - just use a lot of it then shake out the excess.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a great one for over oiling. I use harness oil but paint it on the back side of all my leather products. Bridles I soak in a pale full of harness oil. I don't find any difference between silicon on the leather and harness oil.
The spray silicon gets into every nook and cranny and I just soaked the areas and let it soak in.. It worked, I didn't stain my leather but it is dark black anyway. While I ride in abetta endurance saddle it has about $300 worth of leather parts replaceing alot of the worn out fabric parts.

baby powder mixed with my harness oil on a black saddle can't look too good???

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
The baby powder is to remain only between the leathers. Anything that is visible is not squeaking, so you just wipe/brush it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.