The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older gelding. 32 yrs old. Qtr/Morgan. Healthy. I only ride him gently and bareback now because of the arthritis in his knees he has a hard time with uneven ground.

He's always had such a thick mane and tail that I complained about brushing it. It always took so long to do it in sections. This year it's noticeably thinner. His mane too. Not exactly like balding, but just not the bulk that it used to have.

Is this normal for older horses? The only other horse I've had this old was a full Quarter Horse and her tail was thinner anyway.

He's in good health. Fed a full ration of Dry Nutrena Safe Choice Sr., Alfalfa cubes and free choice bermuda. His weight is good, in fact I will start trimming him down in preparation for the summer heat. Access to lots of water and shade. Healthy winter coat, no early signs of cushings.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Ever notice how many balding old men are wandering around?

You could try a hoof supplement type vitamin mix, hair is built out of the same stuff but don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought of that, but just want to make sure that he's in the "normal range" for his age. At his age, I really hate to overload him with supplements, ya know?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
If it ain't really broke don't fix it.
I've got a 40 yr old and I don't load her up trying to reverse the inevitable either.

Your old man probably has more hair on his fetlocks and chin than he used to as well.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it ain't really broke don't fix it.
I've got a 40 yr old and I don't load her up trying to reverse the inevitable either.

Your old man probably has more hair on his fetlocks and chin than he used to as well.
Yup!

Ok, as long as it's typical aging. I don't like that he's aging, but so am I, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts