The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my paint horse... which hes pretty white. AND. He gets dirty easily. But thats not a problem. The problem... is that ONE certain leg. Has a stain that WONT go away.

I've tried brushing, scrubbing, quick silver, vetrolin green stain, cowboy magic stain remover...

and NADA !

Dosen't fricken work !!!!

I need him white for show season ! and NEHH! The stains been there for about 2 months :/ going on three... what can I do..?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Heh, my trainer would use Soft Scrub.... the kind without bleach on the difficult spots. Not something I'd necessarily do, as it is a household chemical, but she never had any adverse reactions, and I saw her do it hundreds of times without any problems.

I'd just baby powder it to be honest! Or get some of that body touch up spray.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeeah I'm pretty sure green is all the new rage on horses :p

It dosent show up so well in pictures but when you actually see him its REALLY bad. :/ And you can KINDA make out half of it on his left.. hind leg? Its only worse now going ALL the way down his leg.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have paints with white legs too and i feel your pain, if you can give a bath or even just bathe that leg i would start using Farnam White 'N Brite Shampoo and try to wash that spot at least once a week with it, let it sit on for at 10 mins, dont go any longer then that or it might leave him with a purple tint to his hair but i swear by the stuff!

·
Registered
356 Posts
My paint has a stain in the very same spot but the opposite leg. I think it is the leg she rests beneath her while she's laying down, and it gets manure soaked. I use cowboy magic and a damp warm cloth. I would dry it with a blowdryer afterwards if she/he lets you, because if you leave it wet it collects dirt so much easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use White n Brite on my paint too. To me it works the best. I tried Quicsilver but it never got the stains completely out.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hate to tell you, but you're probably gonna have to clip that leg and keep it wrapped/drenched in sheen product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had an all white cow that was dirty always and we tried everything, then someone told us to use wool lite and it came right out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My horse is the same - usually both hocks and knees are G R E E N. I gave up and just clipped his legs. So much easier :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats prob what Im gonna do.. clip his stained leg and drench some stain remover in... prob the best idea

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
that mane n tail whitening stuff works good. it comes out purple, but you leave it on for a couple min and it comes off white! I used it on my paint gelding as an experiment, even though he's a SB paint, he has 2 very high white socks on his back feet. It was funny, i only used it in one spot on his leg, and it was pure white, while around it was greay/brown/yellow.green. haha! my rainbow horse!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The reason whitening shampoos are purple, is because on the color wheel, purple is the opposite of yellow, thus neutralizing the color. This is why when people (such as myself) use a toner (that is purple!) to get icky yellow out of their bleached hair, and to give it a platinum look. And actually, if the horse gets almost the lightest tint of purple, he'll dry OMGZ!White - I would know, 'cause I accidentally did it one time with Farnam's white n bright. Nothing else has 'toned' him like good old white n bright!

Got a gray/blue roam and want him silver/blue? Use a blue shampoo. It will work with the natural color of the hair to make him even more blue/silver looking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mos

When I worked at the Philadelphia Zoo, we used Murphy's Oil Soap on the elephants to wash them. It is not all harmful (vegetable oil soap) and worked well. I use on my dogs also. Perhaps it would work on your horse?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would go wit what a lot of other people have said as far as clipping and wrapping then show touch up the day of. I am ALWAYS having issues keeping D's legs white. The day before a show I will wash him and then wrap his legs over night and clean his stall two or three times during the night so he has NOTHING to lay in LOL. In the morning I use corn starch and if that isn't doing the trick I'll use show touch up becareful on the neck though or else your reins might turn white! LOL same for your boots if you put it on their barrel :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoa so much I can do...

Well-- Im not so sure of the white n brite stuff. It sounds exactly the same as quic silver.. Quic silver is ALSO purple.. I mean it DOES clean just.. dosent clean that SPOT for some reason and i SCRUB and SCRUB.

Hm.. Ivory soap is something I can add to the list. I dont know where I can get the vegetable oil soap. o.o Im gonna try baking soda as well...

·
Registered
527 Posts
You can try hydrogen peroxcide on the trouble area...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts