The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. We will be finishing up our barn this spring (As soon as the ground unfreezes. Dang you Pa winters!) I want to of course have Kick boards in the stalls. However, was unsure if the design I had in mind was correct/appropriate for it. Was thinking of 2inch thick pressure treated wood that is 4ft high? Is that too high for in a stall? Should I only go 2ft high? :shock:

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
15,256 Posts
Nope...4' high sounds about right.

You would be amazed how high a ticked off horse can land their hoof...
2" thick boards should absorb the energy of that kick...remember to put in "short walls" {studs} to strengthen those long stall wall planks or they can and do flex to dangerous amounts a hoof and leg can slip through then that space snaps shut on the leg... horrific injuries or worse...do the short wall.

Good luck with your project.
:wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks horselovingguy! Not sure what you mean by the "short walls" :S sorry. :cry:

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I put R25 insulation between the kick boards and the barn wall. Keeps the barn warmer in winter and helps absorb the energy of a kick. So far, I've gotten a couple of big dents in the kick board but nothing through & through.

·
Super Moderator
15,256 Posts
However you do it, you want studs or posts behind the boards close enough together to keep them from bending.
Posted via Mobile Device

^^^^^^^^^^^

This MT is what I referred to as short wall support.

Your walls are not full height, so a short wall...

It still needs support of studs or maybe the insulation thing done{never saw that one before but if it works, why not!}
to reduce the flexing it will have with a kick to it.

:wink:

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
In our horse's shelter, we have 2x6 boards with posts every ~5 feet and there is no flexing to speak of.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In our horse's shelter, we have 2x6 boards with posts every ~5 feet and there is no flexing to speak of.
AHHH OK got ya now!!! Thank you both! PaintHorseMares Ty for the pic! Really helps to see what your referring too :D

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
A friend preferred to cure his stallion of slamming the boards. He hung a tire about a foot out from where the kick usually happened. Horse kicked the tire which got it swinging. That didn't fix him but a few kicks later it swung in such as way as to whap him. He quit kicking. It became a form of amusement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.