The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, wondering if you guys can help I’m about to have my stalls built I don’t know anything about maintaining my own stall I’ve always had someone to do it for me, question is this........ I will be putting a sort of crushed rock sand material about 3 inches of it and then my stall mats... am I going to have to do maintenance like replacing my crushed rock material every year ? I’m sure the pee will leak through a bit even with mats and shavings just wondering if after a while I have to replace anything ?

·
Super Moderator
9,648 Posts
Yes. After a while you will have to pull the mats and redo the base.

How often depends on several things. What's under the base that you put in. How much time will horses be in the stalls. Things like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. After a while you will have to pull the mats and redo the base.

How often depends on several things. What's under the base that you put in. How much time will horses be in the stalls. Things like that.
how will I know when?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
My base under mats has only ever been redone 1 time. It's been 6 years ago and mats lay flat, and under mats Is dry even where they pee.

My horses don't spend a lot of time in stalls though. In summer when bugs are bad they spend 10 to 12 hours a day in stalls. That's from mid June to end of August. After that they live outside, unless we have bad storms.

Winter time it's a rear occasion when they are in barn. They wear water an wind proof turnout blankets with neck covers. No need to be stalled in winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts