The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think about getting a stallion for a 9 and 10 yr old siblings that have maybe ridden 2-3 times in there life time and know nothing about being around horses? i just want to hear peoples opinions. my daughter has a friend and i found out they are trying to get a mustang stallion for her and her brother. i think the studs like 8 or 9 and and may be charro or ranch broke, not sure if they even knew what i was asking them......what do you think.... ......disaster waiting to happen?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Um, YEAH!!!!!:evil:
Riding is a risk, kids riding is an even higher risk, then add on the fact that they
will be on a 1,000 pound ball of hormones!?!?! What are they THINKING!

I've ridden and been around studs that I'd have never known were intact, but let
my kid go tearing through a field on one, probably unsupervised?
COMPLETE INSANITY.

Even if they geld him asap they are looking a months of built up hormones and memories,
if not for the rest of his life.:evil:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Two words: Hell no!

Of course it is a disaster waiting to happen! These children shouldn't even be allowed near the horse, much less ride and own. They could be seriously injured, and with the unpredictable nature of studs, I wouldn't leave it to chance.

If the kids are looking to ride, suggest lessons! Its a good way to determine if they will like it and they will *hopefully* riding a safe, sane, and beginner appropriate horse. Lesson fees are cheaper than hospital bills.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ahh.... I think that's a no. And I would love to meet the person who thought that was a sane and safe idea. Especially a parent. They need to be educated. Quickly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bad idea to say the least! Dangerous for the children and anyone they might happen to encounter if they did happen to ride him. They certainly would not be equipped to handle a stallion if a situation would arise. What are the parents thinking?!

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Bad idea. Sorry, but they're idiots for even considering such a thing. I think The Black Stallion has gotten to too many people and they think that kids can handle stallions. It just isn't a good idea. Especially when the kids are absolute beginners. I agree with whoever said to suggest lessons.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried! as soon as my daughter told me they where getting a stud i thought o maybe he's gelded and they just got the terms wrong or something but then i called her and she verified to me that he is still intact, i dont know if he's ever been bred, i don't even think they know anything about him they went and rode him once bareback because He was "sore" from herding cattle without shoes, but it is a "friend" and co-work that is selling him to them for $1000, I told her it was suicide, and that it is a rare occasion to find a stud that acts ok, i have only known one stallion in my life that rode fine with mares,mares in cycle and gelding and you would have never known. I also told her that for a $1000 they could go find something more suited for a beginner easily. but she said that her daughter was "attached" to him and so the dad is insistent on getting him.......o yes and she wants to start going to my daughters ridding club and 4-h shows, and i just sunk on the thought of this horse being in a arena full of kids on horses. I made it clear she would not be riding with my daughter ever!

LikeIke17............ these people are hard to educate i'v tried in the past and they don't listen or even attempt to take advice or learn from others, internet, books... anything.... they "Know what they are talking about" thats why i am so worried......and they like to keep up with the jones so to speak and try to out beat them....so they tend to go extreme....hence i got a small flock of chickens next thing we know they had 60

I really don't know what to do next I offered to talk with the dad and she asked me not to cause she doesn't want to fight with him over it.....she's the only one that seems like she doesnt want the horse...which is kinda surprising.....

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Don't worry about her going to the riding club and 4H shows. As far as I know, studs aren't allowed at those kinds of places. In fact, in most areas, kids under 18 aren't allowed to show studs at all.

All you can do is exactly what you did. Let them know that it's a bad idea and that they're going to end up getting hurt...and then walk away. You can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
A STALLION for a beginner? Let alone CHOLDREN! NO! NO! NO! I wouldn't ride a stallion! For heavens sake I've only been riding for a few years! And all the while on completely broke horses! This will only end badly, possibly in a funeral. PLEASE talk them out of it!!!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
*headdesk*

This is, as you say, a disaster waiting to happen. Forget the riding bit, unless he's a very rare exception, he's going to have it all over them from day one and someone's going to get badly hurt or very possibly killed. Sometimes I think people should have to pass a basic common sense test before becoming a parent...

·
Registered
97 Posts
No. Absolutely not.

I wouldn't let a beginner or a kid even near a stallion, let alone ride one, without supervision by someone experienced with stallions. Even I haven't ridden stallions yet, but I do have experience with them, as my lesson/boarding barn has four, and I've handled them all in some way. Stallions are like a 1000 pound block of hormones and can potentially kill someone. Someone's going to get hurt in this, even end in a funeral.

The 4-H shows and riding club, I wouldn't worry about. They don't allow stallions unless you're over 18. Even then, nothing would stop them from riding and handling it outside of shows and clubs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
890 Posts
It won't be a long wait.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Has anyone spoken to them about their liability should this horse get loose and breed? Or hurt someone? Maybe one of the kids' friends????

I don't care what kind of equine protection laws your state has to protect you when someone is hurt on or by your horses...they are ALL predicated on the fact that you've acted responsibly. This is FAR from responsible.

My kids would not be allowed to visit at their house.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Yikes, that's scary dangerous. They are going to set their kids up to get hurt and themselves to have a major liability. Wth are they thinking and shame on the friend trying to sell them a stud for their children!

Gives me flashbacks to one of the first shows I double judged with my mom. Younger couple (barely adults) and had a young stud for their first horse. He'd never been off the farm, they tied him to the trailer and went for lunch. He pulled back and broke off the trailer. He covered several mares (including one with a youth rider on) before he was caught. It was scary, kids all over the place. We stopped the class in the ring, got as many people in there as we could and got a group of experienced folks to catch him and load him back up. They were then asked to leave the grounds but only after they exchanged info so that they could cover lute for the mares he got to.

I have stallions myself, our old man does get rode on occasion by kids (my daughter and some of my more advanced students) but he is 30, I know him like the back of my hand and would NEVER let a minor ride him outside of an arena or with other horses around. He's been shown extensively, seen the world, lots and lots of miles and is a super, super quiet stud but it would be totally irresponsible on my part to let a minor ride him anywhere outside of my indoor arena at home.

I hope someone talks some sense into these people before they get their kids hurt or worse.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
This sounds like the beginning of a story we'll read about in the Darwin Awards next year.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tried!

I really don't know what to do next I offered to talk with the dad and she asked me not to cause she doesn't want to fight with him over it.....she's the only one that seems like she doesnt want the horse...which is kinda surprising.....
Unfortunately some people don't or won't get it until it is too late and tragedy has occurred & then they'll be angry at "the horse," "the kid," "their maker," or "the doctor that tried to put the pieces back together!" really sad

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
If youve already tried then the best thing to do for you is to stay as far away from the situation as you can. They sound like people who would turn around and blame others for their screw ups. I'd hate for them to try to pin something on you.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 65 Posts