Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

We have a mare on the ranch that is a mixed breed pony and she has, for the past four years, acted like a stallion around other mares. She snorts and bites at their flanks, and totally acts like she's going to breed the other mare. We haven't thought much about it and there's no real harm done, I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me why she does it? She didn't start til she was about 14 and now she's 18 and ever since 14 she's always done this with other mares. She's also a total brat to other horses too, like all the geldings and she guards her mares like a stallion would do, keeping all other horses away from his mare.

Anyone know what would cause this change?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
One mare at my barn had very similar behavior. The vet ultrasounded her ovaries and one was very enlarged. After surgery to remove the enlarged one (normal one was untouched) she went back to being her normal, sweet self.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
One mare at my barn had very similar behavior. The vet ultrasounded her ovaries and one was very enlarged. After surgery to remove the enlarged one (normal one was untouched) she went back to being her normal, sweet self.
The one mare that I know that acted like a stud also had enlarged ovaries.
OP I would call the vet he might be able to solve the mystery. Shalom

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have heard of mares who produce too much testosterone, and act aggressively/stud like towards horses (and people). However it will require diagnoses and treatment by a vet. Some of the horses I learned of were either spayed entirely, or had their ovaries removed. Best bet is get your vet out to diagnose her, as it could be a number of things.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Had a mare that would act stud like in her first trimester of pregnancy:shock: One sign she was indeed in foal:lol: She would even mount other horses sometimes. :-( So I agree with what others have said, Definitely think it is a hormonal thing:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.