The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its been done before and everything but...

what do people do with there standys ??

discipline:

april is my 15.2hh chestnut mare shes my first proper horse and i love her dearly shes taught me alot. and instead of getting nasty comments of her im getting comments " boy your mare can trot" i got that comment when i was being taught extended trot she was just lentening but it felt awsome

for me i do show hunter and doing some more shows soon in march i have a show and im starting to do eventing and dressage demos there great fun.

tell me about your horse and why you have a standardbred?

True commitment begins when you reach the point of not knowing how you could possibly go on, and deciding to do it anyway! iily horses

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lucy was actually a rescue.
I got her from an abusive/starvation sittuation.

She is a great horse, but she is very shy and severly lacking on the manners. lol
She is only four and I recently broke her over the summer, although she will probably just be a trail/pleasure horse due to a club foot and iffy legs.
She has improved so much over the past 3 months, it's just her shyness and when she stresses out she's a handful, and we're working on that.

I am actually looking to give her to this other girl, who could probably do more with her.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dressage, trails, general pleasure riding. Tried teaching her to jump but, er, it didn't go well... She didn't like it, and make it quite clear. Lol. I have her because I was 'babysitting' her for two years for family friends and when they returned I loved her so much that they agreed to let her stay :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Crow 15hh bay I think the colour is x)
He's green broke and used for trails mainly. We've recently started to jump some logs in the woods and he's doing well. Training a bit dressage-ish with him.
Working on his rack more than the trot since the rack is better on trails and he carries and works better in rack.

Very sweet and sensible guy, but has a somewhat hot temper, without being a nervous wreck. Not 100% traffic safe yet and stresses some in the walk, but oh well. We're getting there.

Bought him because I needed a horse fast as a company to our other. The plan was that I should buy ''a bettr horse'' when I got a job. But well.. never cared to look for a better horse as I noticed he was the best one I could imagine :p

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
First OTSTB (Lisa) was a rescue companion to keep my other OTSTB (Wonder) company. Wonder died and so I needed another rescue companion for my companion horse. So now I have two companion horses that are used totally for pleasure / trail / pets. Lisa will never do anything more due to seriously scarred tendons and poor confirmation. Jade, the newest, could be an awesome horse in probably anything, but I'm only interested in fooling around.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Lol Sophie I didn't know you made a thread :)
Well I guess you don't need to know what my horses are up to cos you already know lol. But anyways, here goes:

Evo (16.1hh gelding, 11yrs): Currently getting trained by a professional. Getting the mileage he needs so I can just hop on and worry more about myself, than him. He's a big horse who moves even bigger, and I do struggle to keep up with him sometimes! Going to be a dressage horse mainly but now that he's shown a liking for jumping, may do a little of that too. Was a race horse for 7yrs of his life, we backed and started him in April 07.

Honey (15hh mare, 5yrs): Currently learning her basics, been under saddle for nearly three months now, almost ready to canter. Quick to learn, is doing pole work and free jumps about 50cm. Very tidy jumper. Showing signs of accepting the bit and is becoming quite the lovely horse to ride! Will be going to her first show in April this year, and be used as a show horse for next season as well. May get me back into jumping too :)

Bailey (14.2hh mare, 12yrs): Was being schooled by a young girl who did wonders to this pony, and is now moving on with her own pursuits. Unsure as to whether I'll put her into foal, lease/sell her, or keep her on at the moment... has a lovely big trot on her, but is a horse you have to stay a step ahead on! Haha.

As for me, I'm a dressage wannabe. I currently don't have any horses that are completely ready for competition, as two out of three are still learning their basics. However, I know that my work will pay off, and will hopefully be doing low level dressage later in 09/10. I also want to do a bit of showing to environmentalise my horses and get some confidence out competing... since the last time I did that was out with April in 2004 lol.

I have SBs because I like what they have to offer. I like their level headed ness, and normally are sure footed as well. I mean I don't personally like to choose by breed, as I believe a horse is an individual... but the majority of SBs I've come across have been lovely movers, walk, trot and canter with training, and are very versatile.

That's me and my horsey team :)
x

·
Registered
386 Posts
Skinny was a race horse (my race horse) until she broke her sesamoid bone. Now she's a pet! My sister is training her to saddle, but she's been enjoying most of the past year off. She has two goats for companions.

I'm starting to work with race horses this month and hope to get a Stb in the spring. I want to train it for trails with a great knowledge of dressage - but I have no plans to actually show.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I leased a standardbred for a full year. When I first started riding him, he was FAST FAST FAST and always paced and never cantered. He is 17 years old and actually did the sulky races. He has the tattoo on his lip, although since he is so old, its stretched out and we cannot read it and look him up. =( I ride hunter/jumper so that is what i wanted to do with him. In a full year I got him from being all bony and not much muscle to being all filled out with lots of muscle. He absolutely LOVES to jump and he canters beautifully now and his trot is awesome!!

The pictures of him just standing with no one on him are when i first starting riding and leasing him.
The other ones are closer to the end of my year long lease with him.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
We have a standardbred at the barn I ride at. He's real sweet, however I have a bit of a complex when I get on him. He has a huge stride, and the last time I was on him, I was riding bareback for the first time. Poor boy didnt know what to make of me.

I think my issue stems from when I see his owner ride him. When she's up on him, he looks really hot. I dont know, it probably sounds silly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
haha thanks!! it took me forever to get even decent at jumping. haha I'm still working on my posture and keeping my shoulders back and everything. I love that standardbred though. He is such a sweetheart. Me and him bonded pretty much instantly too. The first time I rode him was on a paperchase because this other girl didn't want to ride him and I wanted a taller horse. haha Now, Kirby(the standardbred) knows my voice and looks up everytime he sees me. Even from across the farm if he sees me getting another horse his head follows me where ever go. I spoiled him wayyyyy too much with a BUNCH of treats every time i see him. hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts