Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got a new tb mare (never raced). For the most part things are going well, but she can either have perfect ground manners or be really distracted and pushy. On cross ties she either stands perfectly still or weaves back and forth repeatedly. I have tried correcting her and moving back to her previous position, but she will just move away from my pressure to the opposite wall and if I push her back to the centre she moves all the way to the other side and continues to move. If I leave her for a moment to grab tack she will flip herself around completely so she is facing the wrong way and then breaks the cross ties. Again, this is about 50% of the time the other 50% she has a perfect puppy dog relaxed personality and she will stand happily for hours.

Also when leading when she is in these moods she can get pushy and refuse to stop or wait for me. I sometimes have to lunge her before riding in order to get her to stand still for long enough to get on her.

She is at a new barn, but I noticed when I first tried her at her old barn she was a bit anxious on cross ties as well so I'm not sure it is the new environment.
Any advice?
thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.