The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had these tested for sugar and starch? They likely vary from bag to bag but maybe a test would give an idea at least.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's confusing. High in sugar but lowest in energy/calories. Guess I need to go see what is included in energy/calories.

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
Unless the horse has a allergy against alfalfa...
I have found this packs the most punch for my horses...
I feed cubes, not pellets now.
I needed a weight gain and had tried everything you can imagine and think of...
In desperation I called my vet and said "Help!!"...
He told me to leave the feed cause that was my vitamins and minerals needed daily and my horse does require extra calories he can not get enough of anywhere else...
But he told me to ditch the alfalfa pellets and go to cubes...
Made all the difference in the world to my guys appearance...
He has the bloom, the shine I never could get to his flea-bitten gray coat...he gleams!!
A hint of rib seen when running, playing with my 6, 8 and 13 year olds...he far out plays any of them.
He does aerial acrobatics for fun of twists, bucks and roll-back turns in a split second never would of expected to see out of a 22 year old...
Try the alfalfa cubes and see if what you are searching for not appear in about 2 -3 weeks time the transformation not begin to be truly seen.
I do use "store brand" of Tractor Supply because simply put I'm getting 50 pound bags for $3.00 less a bag and that is 10 pounds more per bag is a nice savings in my pocket than Standlee...
The product might be a bit smaller pieces, slightly more product dust but...when you soak it it doesn't make a difference what it appears as coming from a bag content...
Regardless of cube or pellet please dampen to a soak status so no throat expansion happen from touching moisture = reduce choke chance happening.
I'll never return to feeding alfalfa pellets...never. Cubes from now on.

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for weight loss. Weight gain is easy for Hondo. He's on bermuda hay but he needs a pellet he likes to add his supplements to, which he doesn't like.

I've been using Safechoice special care which he likes and which works well but it just dawned on me that at 4% sugar and 11% starch it is at 15% which is way over the recommended for IR horses.

So I'm searching for a lower NSC pellet.

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
OK...got it.
Weight control needed...

Purina makes a specific product called "Hay Stretcher"...
Busy food...
I know of several horses who get this and a ration balancer cause they are air ferns...
I don't know any number details...but those that are fed this seem to enjoy eating it and licking their buckets clean.
Maybe a different option & product to investigate..
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I have bought Standlee products in the past(grass, alfalfa pellets, and alfalfa cubes) and for some reason, my horses don't like them as much as another brand available to me.
I was buying the alfalfa pellets to stretch out the Purina Strategy Healthy Edge and they turn their noses up at it for some reason. Also defeated the purpose of hiding supplements or meds.
Kind of a bummer as they are a semi-local company and I try to support local business.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
In searching different low nsc feeds I can across Timothy balance cubes. Think if I recall it's for IR horses.

Ration balancers are not that low calorie for an air fern. Tc 30 percent is over 1,200 calories per pound I realize you only feed a pound for light working horse's. I've seen some pretty fat horse's that are on RBS. But 1,200 calories in hard feed per day might just be to much for an easy keeper.

Can't say tc 30 is something horse's are gonna love doesn't smell very appealing. Still have over half a bag of the tc 30 my horse's don't like it....did at first but didn't last.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Equi-Analytical doesn't show average test results for timothy as they do for some other stuff so I was hoping someone out there had actually had some tested. I reckon grass or hay tests would do as well as the nutrients are about the same.

Hondo doesn't seem to like the Standlee timothy pellets all that much although he does prefer them to bermuda hay. That may be a good thing if it's because there's no molasses.

A friend tells me all diets are the same. "If it tastes good, spit it out". Hondo seems to have a nose fine tuned for sugar so his ho hum attitude toward the Standlee timothy may be a good thing.

I may have to break down and just send some in.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've fed my horses Stanlee Timothy pellets for a few years. But I've never had it tested. My horses like it and they don't gain weight on it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I feed the standlee alfalfa to my horse who seems to like it and he doesn't get fat from it either. He will get fat if given any other 'grain' product.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
I'd say to keep their product consistent they may remove excess sugars. As for higher energy/calories because protein and likely fat content is higher alfalfa would have more than grass hays.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Have you contacted the company directly? We fed Standlee Timothy Pellets and Safe Choice to an easy keeper mare. It helped keep her weight at a good place and she was out with a grazing muzzle maximum of 1-2 hours per day and had grass hay available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anybody had these tested for sugar and starch? They likely vary from bag to bag but maybe a test would give an idea at least.
I use shredded beet pulp to feed supplements. Having the moist shreds is great for carrying the powders and flakes of whatever supplements you are feeding, without causing weight gain. It’s cheap and really good for a horse’s gut microbiome. But get a really fine shred. Some shredded pulps have these giant chewy mushroom-like pieces that horse’s don’t like. And make sure the brand you get rehydrates fully within 15 minutes - convenient for your time management, uses less water and avoids choking hazard of the large-shred brands. LaBudde Premium Screened shredded beet pulp is the best one I’ve tried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.