The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! So im starting my horse over the jumps here pretty soon and i was wondering how you all start your horses over fences? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!! And for my other horse what age do you guys start your youngsters over fences? 馃槂

Registered
Hi, I have also just started my boy over fences! Low cross bars are the go, in my opinion, or cavelettis.

As my guy was western trained and was very very unsure and confused about jumping, I placed a pole on the ground on either side of the jump structure and got him comfortable with trotting and cantering over these before I raised them to approx 30cm.

It was also really beneficial for me to get to know his canter strides in regards to seeing the distance, so I did I few exercises with ground poles for that too.

Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
Whatever you do, take your time and start small. And stay small for a very long time. Overfacing a horse is how you create horses that refuse jumps. Better that they learn to do individual low jumps, then grids of low jumps, before anything gets higher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts