The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new horse that has not been on grain. she needs some weight and vitamins. how much and what is good? I used to feed vintage performance and weight builder on my other mare. Also gave some veggie oil before using weight builder. new mare is 15 hh. 8 y.o. doesn't look bad just would like to give her what she needs. she has a clean bill of health. any suggestions or ideas would be helpful..thank you. Tina:lol::shock:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I use the Purina Molene 200. Rosie was very skinny when I got her, but she's gained nicely. If your mare has never been on grain, I would introduce it to her slowly to avoid any issues. I give Rosie 1 1/2 gallons in the morning and evening...along with 2 flakes of hay morning and evening.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
1 1/2 gallons morning and evening sounds like quite a bit!

I would start off with about a pound, which is usually just less than a full small coffee can, and they gradually add a little more over time.

What I usually feed my horses as their evening "treats," and they are all very fat and happy, is a small coffee can of grain (usually sweet feed), a small coffee can (or two) of alfalfa pellets, and a drizzle of veggie oil. I put all that in a bucket and pour some water over it at let it soak (only because I am paranoid about not soaking the alfalfa pellets). Anyway, they end up with a really tasty wet mash that they love. :D

I really have no good suggestions on the vitamins, because I am trying to learn more about that myself. I have never been a big supplement type person, but I do buy the Purina Enrich 12 (or Enrich 32 if you are not feeding mostly alfalfa) and give them a little scoop of that and it is supposed to compliment their regular diet and give them all their vitamins and minerals. But that stuff has really gotten pricey in the last year or so.

I personally wouldn't feed more than about 3 pounds of grain a day total, and if my horse still needed more weight would add more alfalfa to the diet and some type of fat supplement. I think grain makes a great treat, but I would be scared to feed lots of it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
While the enrich might seem expensive you only feed one pound a day for total nutrition then just add calories...

compared to average of 6lbs a day on "regular" feed even adding calories is many times cheaper :)

I personally don't feed any grains, I use Kent's Horsego32 , free choice hay and add calories as needed.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you have problems finding a ration balancer PM me your zip and I can help you find local dealers :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that would be great thank you. Not too many choices here. 04047. I was trying to find total equine and it is not available here. my usual grain dealer has blue seal. they have omegatron? not sure if that is spelled right. any how it has 20% fat. most everything else has 3.5-8% fat. a few did have 10 or 12. I don't know. so very confusing. anyhow thank you. Tina

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Can we see pics of the horse??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
new horse pics

She is the b/w paint I have for my avatar. that was taken last summer by the owner. when she comes tomorrow i will get some updated ones.her owner said she doesn't grain her horses. i like my horses a little heavy. she needs some muscle also. I am in maine so II like to trail ride as well as show. I used to enjoy the quarter horse congress when I was younger. so I always liked the bulldog look. so I was getting info for feed because she hasn't had any before.thank you for your info. i did look for purina dealers and the closes one is an hour from me. I still need to figure out what i will do. but you info has been very helpul, thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Purina dealer.

I have a purina dealer in my area. they just finished a tractor supply in new hampshire. my mare is awesome.. she has some good breeding going for her. aqha and apha champs through out.. i got the min lite. i like it better than the other stuff goes further too. so now I am going to get my purina feed when I finish what I have. I will slowly introduce her. she has done well. I will try to get some updated pics. the one on my avatar was last summer. she still has her winter brown color. the black is coming in nice. hard to tell if she is gaining weight. either way i am happy with her.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.