The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started jumping my 15HH QH gelding, hes doing very well and has jumped over cavalletti and even a few small standard jumps; However im worried about his feet, he's knocked his front and back feet a few times and i don't want him to hurt any of his tendons. What boots would you suggest for him? I was thinking about the professionals choice SMB elite's just to stop some of that impact he's getting. Are any of you using boots? if so what would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
my guy goes in polos and bells in front. he will pull a shoe from time to time, but he's not much one for rubbing/pulling rails. You could always try open fronts as well... but they tend to be more expensive. which is why i ride in polos. haha! They're always super cheap and easy to keep clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
personally, if i were you and my horse was hitting such low obstacles, i would keep the boots off. it sounds like hes either very unbalanced and not ready for what you are asking him, or very lazy. when the jumps are still low i prefer to ride without boots so they hit the poles a couple times and realize they want to be snappy and not hit their feet.

as far as smbs, i really dont like them at all. they get pretty hot which can damage their tendons and ligaments. they also dont have a hard outter shell or strike pad so it doesnt protect that much if they hit their hoof on their leg. polos also provide zero protection. for a jumping boot i like a stirke pad on them. i really like woof boots.

Reactions: maura

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
personally, if i were you and my horse was hitting such low obstacles, i would keep the boots off. it sounds like hes either very unbalanced and not ready for what you are asking him, or very lazy. when the jumps are still low i prefer to ride without boots so they hit the poles a couple times and realize they want to be snappy and not hit their feet.

as far as smbs, i really dont like them at all. they get pretty hot which can damage their tendons and ligaments. they also dont have a hard outter shell or strike pad so it doesnt protect that much if they hit their hoof on their leg. polos also provide zero protection. for a jumping boot i like a stirke pad on them. i really like woof boots.
i agree with most of this however i'm not exactly a big fan of the woof boots solely because i don't like the way the neoprene overlaps. *shrug*

i do have a full set of SMB elites for my TB but we only use them out on trail rides.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree with gypsy. I jumped my mare up to 3'6 without anything, no problem. She rarely hits jumps now, but when I first got her she was knocking rails all the time even at a low height. The only time I use boots are for xc, just because the jumps are solid. I have woof boots and I really like them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.