The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking at a horse, and might be buying her. I'm taking her on trial for the next few weeks.
She is 5 years old, 16.1h, and hasn't been broken in for jumping yet.

She has been ridden on the roads and has done groundwork (I'm not sure how much, but the trainer said she's doing very well).

If I do buy her, how should I start off introducing jumping? Obviously a lot of polework and that. I will be getting help from a horse trainer for a few weeks where I'd be keeping her, but then I would have to move her back to our field because of costs.
So I basically just need some advice on where to start off. I would do just groundwork for a while, to make sure she's comfortable with that..

·
Registered
641 Posts
As you said above lots and lots of pole work. I would also do low grids and some bounces. Also never ride your first jump, always put your horse on the lunge line and take her over a few. Once she has gotten the concept of jumping, then saddle her up and take her over anything thats 1ft or less. Its going to be a slow process but in the end, she is going to be a great jumper!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
yep poles poles poles !

when i take a horse over their first jump [with a rider] i like to do a set of trot poles a few times up off of their back in 2pt, then when they go through that well, add a cross rail at the end

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.