The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Im starting English riding lessons in a few months and I want to know where I could get riding boots that aren’t too expensive, but are still good. I already have my helmet, I just need the riding boots. I try searching up some that arent too expensive but most of the ones I find are like $300 and go up to $1200 😬. Does anyone know where I could find ones that are at least $100 or maybe $200?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Are you looking for knee-high boots? You don't really need those at beginner levels IMO. I'd buy a pair of paddock boots and matching half chaps. If you're not going to be riding until a few months from now, see if you can wait and find some on sale. Even not on sale, I think you should be able to get some Ariats for around $200 or less, and that's for the boots and half chaps combined.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I like to find my riding boots at thrift stores. I feel pretty good if I can get them for $10 or less. I have some dandy comfortable paddock boots I got at a used tack place for $10. I have some real, as opposed to fake (which I also have been known to buy and wear), English tall boots I got at a tack sale for $20. Keep your eyes and ears open, go to used tack sales. You can get some lovely bargains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you looking for knee-high boots? You don't really need those at beginner levels IMO. I'd buy a pair of paddock boots and matching half chaps. If you're not going to be riding until a few months from now, see if you can wait and find some on sale. Even not on sale, I think you should be able to get some Ariats for around $200 or less, and that's for the boots and half chaps combined.
I like to find my riding boots at thrift stores. I feel pretty good if I can get them for $10 or less. I have some dandy comfortable paddock boots I got at a used tack place for $10. I have some real, as opposed to fake (which I also have been known to buy and wear), English tall boots I got at a tack sale for $20. Keep your eyes and ears open, go to used tack sales. You can get some lovely bargains.
Okay thanks guys! 😁

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
If you go for cheap new stuff, just try to have a look at it in person and give the materials a feel. You're definitely better off getting used good stuff than new bad stuff.

For example, I bought a pair of Auken synthetic paddock boots from Greenhawk four years ago, and they were awful. The soles were slick, smooth plastic that would slide around in the stirrups all the time. I assumed I just had a crappy leg, but as soon as I switched to Ariats, with proper rubber soles, the problem went away and I was a lot more stable! The Auken half chaps were thin, and hot, and slipped down all the time, too. I'm much happier now that I've upgraded to the Ariat stuff. And it's lasting really well.

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
If you are on Facebook they have online groups that sell used stuff. ask for used English riding boots in one of those groups and I bet you'll get a ton of responses. Look for one local to your area.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Get low boots and half chaps. Cheaper, and altogether more comfortable as well. If you buy black ankle boots and matching chaps they look virtually the same as tall boots, if appearance is a concern to you.

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
Do not buy cheap boots. YOu will only have to buy another pair later, when the cheap ones fall apart, after having rubbed blisters all over your feet.

I dont' know where you are located, but Ariat makes very nice products. I trail ride 3 times a week, all year long, in Ariat's "Terrain' boot. It is very comfortable for walking, too. Then, I wear a pari of matching half chaps over them. This works very well. I also have fancier Ariat paddock boots, (black for showing), but I never use.

What sort of lessons will you be taking? hunt seat? dressage? do you have goals to show?

The nice thing about paddock boots with half chaps is that when you are done, and doing all the de-tacking and clean up, you can take the half chaps off, and it's MUCH cooler! tall boots are HOT. It takes a long time to break in Tall Boots, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
Always read the bad reviews before reading the good reviews. :)

I don't personally like synthetic boots and half chaps. They don't breathe. But they might be fine as a starter set, with upgrading later as something to keep in mind -- maybe when there's a good sale!

I just ordered a $200 pair of Ariat half chaps (BARF at that much money!) but I know they're a great brand, they'll fit well, and based on the previous similar pair, they'll last me YEARS and will cost less than repeatedly replacing cheap ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Always read the bad reviews before reading the good reviews. :)

I don't personally like synthetic boots and half chaps. They don't breathe. But they might be fine as a starter set, with upgrading later as something to keep in mind -- maybe when there's a good sale!

I just ordered a $200 pair of Ariat half chaps (BARF at that much money!) but I know they're a great brand, they'll fit well, and based on the previous similar pair, they'll last me YEARS and will cost less than repeatedly replacing cheap ones.
Yeah, I think I'll just buy them and then later upgrade to Ariat boots in the future. Thank you for helping me! :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am also a beginner and I bought cheap leather ones for € 30 (that is approx 30 dollars I guess.) This was (obviously) a bad idea. :D I already regret it... :p I upgraded to a brand called BR. They were cheaper then ariats (they were € 150, but I got them discounted for € 100.) In the reviews it said that they were similar to quality to the Ariat boots. (Of course not as good, but they are cheaper for a reason...) :) You can sometimes get good deals in online stores. Especially when you have a difficult to sell size (I have big feet for a woman, so I get discount + I am very skinny so I also can buy discounted body protectors and riding pants a lot :p)

I couldn't get it over my heart to buy the Ariat boots... I don't have that kinda money to spend too... :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, this is a lot of writing, butI think I impressed myself because I just signed up for this site and it’s myfirst reply to a post! Yay me! Okay, now onto you… (Ps: all this is worthreading, trust me, lol)

Don’t be a me when you start your firstriding lessons and go straight to looking at those tall English riding boots. Goingin that direction is going to convince you that maybe taking lessons aren’tworth it, but trust me, if you go about this right, it will be worth it.

Tall riding boots are really expensiveand are hard to find a right proper fit at the calf area. Unless you are goingto be competing in shows all the time, then don’t even waste your money there, especiallyif you are just starting.

I highly recommend getting what peopleon here are calling “short boots” but are actually called paddock boots. They gojust above your ankle. I’ve seen slip on ones, but they also have ones thathave a zipper in the front. Mine are brown with a zipper and they were onlyabout thirty dollars brand new. You can pair paddock boots with long socks andriding breeches, which is what I did when I first started my first lessons lastyear.

If you know that you are going tocontinue your lessons for sure, you can invest into a good pair of half chaps.You wear half chaps with paddock boots and together they are like a pair of tallboots. They go from your ankle almost to your knee. When I bought mine thisyear, I used my own money and purchased a pair of brown washable Ariat halfchaps for $130 because I started up taking lessons again and I wanted toprotect my leg from the saddle rubbing.

My best piece of advice is to always tryon the paddock boots and half chaps with the things you’ll ride with in person.Have your riding breeches and a pair of long socks with or on you when youpurchase anything. Also, I highly recommend shopping in an actual shop and notonline because you won’t know how things fit. Also, make sure you ask forfitting advice when you go to a tack shop because when I got my half chaps Iwas clueless. You can’t go by your shoe size which was what I thought you hadto do. It measures by your calf size and leg height. It also makes a differencewith the style paddock boot you get, so if you buy them before hand, bringthose with you. Also remember that half chaps fit snug when you first buy them,and you want them to too. They’ll get stretched out the more you use them.

Another good suggestion for buying halfchaps if you do, is to try them on and get your measurements from a tack shopthat sells them. If you are looking for something cheaper, go on Ebay andsearch half chaps with your size. I should have did that myself because there werehalf chaps half the price that I paid on Ebay. If you do buy them from thestore though, inspect them thoroughly and do the same with the paddock boots. Thehalf chaps that I bought must have been used once and returned because theinside of the calf area was all worn out.

I wish you all the best with your ridinglessons and remember… it’s all worth it in the end ;)

~Rose Marie:gallop:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.