The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm Chris, rode dressage and some hunter-jumper when I was young.
My fiancee has been into horses her whole life, 3 day eventing when she was younger.

We're getting older and both have wanted to drive.

We have Clydesdale mare born on her farm, never been driving but has been ridden on trails and some informal dressage.
A tennessee walker that a former border 'traded in', great trail horse.
A canadian sport horse that was to be her 3 day event ride, but alas, never got that far.
A halflinger gelding that was a camp horse we pretty much rescued, we dont know his history but he rides well and we suspect he has had driving training from teh way he ground drives.

Yesterday we got a 2 year (2 1/2) old norwegian fjord mare that has been trained to ride and drive - we have video of her pulling a 4 wheel buggy on country roads, solo, and turning/backing just fine.

I'll be asking about carts/buggies....that is where we are 'stuck' on what to do, start with, etc.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Welcome to the forum! One thought that I have is that at 2 and a half years, that really is a lot for her to be doing, in my personal opinion; that age she's just a baby still. Trained to ride *and* drive? I would only very lightly start, if at all, in either at this age. I'd recommend being really careful with the workload or else she might have trouble physically very soon in life.
There will be others who can help you in the training aspect. Again, welcome - and we love horse pictures here *hint hint*. :D

Reactions: Palfrey

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In Saddlebred barns long yearlings are usually broke to drive. Of course it is just light show carts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she went from no driving to full driving in 10 days. Yes, just 10 days.
We've been told Fjords are very smart. Her demeanor having been shipped for 3 days and arriving at a strange farm, and being young, you wouldn't believe how calm she is.

We have her in a separate paddock from teh other horses at the moment, and 2 of ours 'charge' the fence with their ears back - typical herd/new horse stuff - and she never lifts her head up from eating.
Brought her into the barn, first time, ZERO issues...no jumpiness, hesitation, weird eye or ear activity, no pulling/pushing on me/the lead...amazing.

Winter is coming so we have till april to get our stuff together before we do much with her.

Welcome to the forum! One thought that I have is that at 2 and a half years, that really is a lot for her to be doing, in my personal opinion; that age she's just a baby still. Trained to ride *and* drive? I would only very lightly start, if at all, in either at this age. I'd recommend being really careful with the workload or else she might have trouble physically very soon in life.
There will be others who can help you in the training aspect. Again, welcome - and we love horse pictures here *hint hint*. :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
A little Fjord!? I'm so jealous! You'll have to chunk out some of her mane so she can have that cool pattern! I'm not very experienced with driving itself, I was just a groom to a professional, and sometimes he would hand me the reins and let me "drive" some of the horses (although I had no idea what I was doing). I much preferred being on the back going through the combined driving obstacles throwing my weight around...so fun! Do you think you would be doing more show driving or looking at combined driving?

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we have no plans for competition or showing at this time.

A little Fjord!? I'm so jealous! You'll have to chunk out some of her mane so she can have that cool pattern! I'm not very experienced with driving itself, I was just a groom to a professional, and sometimes he would hand me the reins and let me "drive" some of the horses (although I had no idea what I was doing). I much preferred being on the back going through the combined driving obstacles throwing my weight around...so fun! Do you think you would be doing more show driving or looking at combined driving?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts