The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried various brands, homemade stuff, fly spray is just useless to me that this point. Yesterday Chase was on the crossties and he was COVERED in flys, mostly under his stomach and on his legs. So I sprayed him down, and I turned around and they were all back. So I tried again SMOTHERING him in it. It was still wet on him and they just came back again. Sorry rant over.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
Flies are especially tough right now here at my house too...
I use either Endure or one of the fly sprays that has Citronella in it...
Nothing works for very long though.
You can also get SWAT ointment and gently, a little goes a long way, place some on the horses sheath area and a stripe of it on the belly underside center...not where your girth/cinch go though.
It will afford them a bit of protection on the belly and delicate sheath area from the biting buggars.
Do the ears, along the outer edge and carefully around the eyes and I place a small amount down the nasal bone and under the jowl as again, areas flies seem to harass the horses with biting them or landing often.
If Chase is thin-skinned as many Thoroughbreds really are, he might do well with a fly-sheet as stomping and fighting off flies also burns calories off their body = harder to keep weight on.

It isn't just you with the fly issue though...:evil:

:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Try TriTec 14. I can't stress enough how good that stuff is.

The plus side: Works IMMEDIATELY. You can see the flies that get sprayed hit the ground dead in a half second. It does indeed build up in the hair and works for several days unless your horse gets really wet or you bathe him or her, then you need to reapply.

Downside: It's expensive: 25.00 or so for a spray bottle, close to 80.00 for the large refill jug (Unless you catch it on clearance somewhere at half price) It IS more heavily oiled and doesn't smell as nice as the citronella types, so your horse may LOOK well brushed... but once that stuff is sprayed on and you get it a tad too heavy by accident in an area, expect a muddy goo to rise out of the hair.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
HF misfired and posted that twice. Editing it out. LOL

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Anything that's "all natural" is almost certainly a scam, just as mint-and-citronella mosquito "repellents" for people. See if you can get something that contains permethrin (such as Pyranha products). I believe those tend to alleviate the problem.

I did try Pyranha last summer. It wasn't QUITE as effective and long lasting as the TriTec, but it was definitely worthwhile and smelled a lot better.

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
I did try Pyranha last summer. It wasn't QUITE as effective and long lasting as the TriTec, but it was definitely worthwhile and smelled a lot better.
Yeah, I checked the active ingredients of TriTec, and they seem to be cousins:

Cypermethrin -- 0.15%
Pyrethrins -- 0.20%
Piperonyl Butoxide -- 1.60%
Butoxypolypropylene Glycol -- 5.00%

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Products containing Pyrethrin do work; some of the other stuff I have tried over the years works for a little while, some don't do a thing as far as I can tell.
I have had good results with the Bronco Gold, and with Swat, but mostly I just cover The Kids up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yeah, I checked the active ingredients of TriTec, and they seem to be cousins:

Cypermethrin -- 0.15%
Pyrethrins -- 0.20%
Piperonyl Butoxide -- 1.60%
Butoxypolypropylene Glycol -- 5.00%

I think where the big difference is, is the staying power, and that MIGHT have something to do with TriTec being a heavier/thicker mix of liquid.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I used pro force red label~ by Mannapro. This stuff worked the flies, deer flies, horse flies were literally gone after we sprayed our horse's. We could ride for 2+ hours with not a bug bothering our horse's. I did mix above spray with another spray...would have to find the bottle of it, name escapes me at the moment.

The pro force works by it's self also ,keeps bugs away for our rides.

Tritec 14 doesn't work here does nothing to repel bugs. I find you have to change what you use. I change kinds of spray every time I need more. Some are worthless.

·
Administrator
36,133 Posts
You have to read the label - a lot of the non-organic, brands that aren't sold as 'natural' contain the same active ingredients - Cypermethrin, Pyrethrins, Piperonyl Butoxide & Butoxypolypropylene Glycol
The only thing that might differ is the quantities and ratio of each
They aren't ever going to be 100% effective but they do kill things like ticks and horse and deer flies that start to feed or on contact if the horse is fairly recently sprayed, latter applies to any flies that stay on lkong enough to pick up the actives. The bugs don't drop dead immediately but those products contain strong insecticides that do work.
As far as deterrents go, I've not found anything that's really great - better to buy a fly sheet and fly boots if the horses are driven mad
In the barn - use fly screens wherever possible to keep the bugs out and hang sticky fly traps everywhere

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I used deosect which contains 5% w/v cypermethrin that apparently paralyses insects it comes into contact with. You're meant to apply it like every fortnight-month unless the horses excessively sweats, rained on or bathed etc. I think it was recommended on here but my then-vet swore by it so I paid out for it. SO WORTH! In the beginning I was very nervous and used it sparingly just to be safe, too sparingly it turned out. NOW, however, I practically drench her once a month and apply very lightly after a rain or bath. It is worth noting though for this reason and fly protection (I thank horselovinguy for this advice!) I've not clipped her but she's short haired. Deosect + fly mask and she's good to go.

I wanted to scrub her stall and use it inside as well (minus a horse coz it's toxic) but they have a ton of cute little birdies around so gotta be so careful and I normally take the excess deosect home to dispose of so they don't drink it or pollute the area around.

Just to hijack: the yard is small, very tidy but cannot help that the regularly emptied muck heap is so close in proximity to the stables. Flies IN the stable are a HUGE HUGE PROBLEM. I was gonna use sticky tape (poor ******s) and maybe get a fly screen/stringy door curtain. Anyone else got any ideas?

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
The only fly spray I've found that works well is Farnam Endure Sweat-resistant fly spray. Other ones have done nothing...I haven't tried natural fly spray/homemade, but maybe I will this summer.

I also like SWAT even though it's not a spray, it works pretty well on the face/ears/legs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My elderly Arab is being eaten alive by midges and gnats. It is the midge bite that is the root of the problem. Some horses, especially old ones, can develop an allergy to the saliva of the biting midge and can develop "sweet itch" which is anything but sweet. Took him to the vet and he is now on a human antihistamine. You can use generic Benadryl and the dose is 1 tablet per 100 lbs. so a 1,000-lb. horse gets 10 pills.

Most fly sprays won't work on midges - you need one with Permethrin. We bought the concentrate at the feed store and use 2 oz. (4 tablespoons) in a one-gallon sprayer. At this dilution, you can spray it on the horse and on bedding, stall walls, etc.

But sweet itch is VERY painful so this time we are trying a product called KrudZapper (you can get it on Amazon or the maker's website) which contains 2% sulphur and LARD which sounds gross but will trap the midges and gnats. The sulphur is soothing. I nearly didn't use it because I had a horrible experience years ago with M-T-G but in comparing labels, the M-T-G has 4% sulphur which must be too strong. A friend said she has used WonderDust on her horse's midline to prevent sweet itch. Have not tried that, but Wonder Dust also contains 2% sulphur.

Both my horses' sheaths were swollen - the old one's was the worst. The other horse is only getting the antihistamine and BOTH horses' sheaths have gone back to their normal size, so I have to attribute that to the antihistamine. The vet suggested one called Aller-Tec from Costco that was on sale for $10.99 for a bottle of 365 tablets but generic Benadryl is also fairly inexpensive.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have tried various brands, homemade stuff, fly spray is just useless to me that this point. Yesterday Chase was on the crossties and he was COVERED in flys, mostly under his stomach and on his legs. So I sprayed him down, and I turned around and they were all back. So I tried again SMOTHERING him in it. It was still wet on him and they just came back again. Sorry rant over.
My elderly Arab is being eaten alive by midges and gnats. It is the midge bite that is the root of the problem. Some horses, especially old ones, can develop an allergy to the saliva of the biting midge and can develop "sweet itch" which is anything but sweet. Took him to the vet and he is now on a human antihistamine. You can use generic Benadryl and the dose is 1 tablet per 100 lbs. so a 1,000-lb. horse gets 10 pills.

Most fly sprays won't work on midges - you need one with Permethrin. We bought the concentrate at the feed store and use 2 oz. (4 tablespoons) in a one-gallon sprayer. At this dilution, you can spray it on the horse and on bedding, stall walls, etc.

But sweet itch is VERY painful so this time we are trying a product called KrudZapper (you can get it on Amazon or the maker's website) which contains 2% sulphur and LARD which sounds gross but will trap the midges and gnats. The sulphur is soothing. I nearly didn't use it because I had a horrible experience years ago with M-T-G but in comparing labels, the M-T-G has 4% sulphur which must be too strong. A friend said she has used WonderDust on her horse's midline to prevent sweet itch. Have not tried that, but Wonder Dust also contains 2% sulphur.

Both my horses' sheaths were swollen - the old one's was the worst. The other horse is only getting the antihistamine and BOTH horses' sheaths have gone back to their normal size, so I have to attribute that to the antihistamine. The vet suggested one called Aller-Tec from Costco that was on sale for $10.99 for a bottle of 365 tablets but generic Benadryl is also fairly inexpensive.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I used pro force red label~ by Mannapro. This stuff worked the flies, deer flies, horse flies were literally gone after we sprayed our horse's. We could ride for 2+ hours with not a bug bothering our horse's. I did mix above spray with another spray...would have to find the bottle of it, name escapes me at the moment.

The pro force works by it's self also ,keeps bugs away for our rides.

Tritec 14 doesn't work here does nothing to repel bugs. I find you have to change what you use. I change kinds of spray every time I need more. Some are worthless.
So far I've had decent luck with ProForce red too.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I thought with horses that have sweet itch you gotta be on top of it before it develops otherwise you end up in the dilemma that you can't apply the strongest solutions for that very reason? I know a few people around me that are already going mental in fly management and season isn't even in full swing yet. Also with anti-histamines: buy the cheapest brand and compare it to the big names. Often it's the same stuff and you're paying more just for the name.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
. Just to hijack: the yard is small, very tidy but cannot help that the regularly emptied muck heap is so close in proximity to the stables. Flies IN the stable are a HUGE HUGE PROBLEM. I was gonna use sticky tape (poor ******s) and maybe get a fly screen/stringy door curtain. Anyone else got any ideas?
Fly predators - they take care of the problem in the stable :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Pyranha is the best fly spray I have found, even their natural one (green bottle) seems to work and last for about as long as anything else with toxic chemicals, and it's far better than any other natural type spray I've tried. SWAT also works really well on sheath area, belly, legs, ears, and (with careful placement) around the eyes, typically in the summer I don't turn Nav out without putting SWAT in those areas. Nothing that is advertised to last days has ever lasted that long, in my experience, so don't put much stock in that.

That said, I've never experienced flies like you've described, and we'll have to see how our first Texas summer compares to our past experiences. I might be in the market for something stronger this year too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.