The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this article published about how compasses operate and how to use one. Knowing how to use a compass can keep you out of a lot of trouble! I give talks on land navigation a few times a year and it’s always interesting to hear how people think that compasses are difficult to use or that a GPS does the same thing that a compass does. Compasses don’t have batteries to fail and are my choice whenever I really need to get from point A to point B. I’ll post again when I complete the second section on how to use a compass and map together.

Here's a link to the article

·
Registered
481 Posts
Very interesting article. I should really learn to use a good compass better.

I got in the habit years ago and teach my horse "find the truck" so they'll find our way should we get lost LOL

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
My horse seems to be part compass. No matter where we are, he can find his way back to the trailer. No need for gadgets with him!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My horse seems to be part compass. No matter where we are, he can find his way back to the trailer. No need for gadgets with him!
LOL I use this method myself! Knowing how to read a read and use a compass comes in handy should you become separated from your horse. :-(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always have a map and compass on me out on trails. But I primarily use a GPS. My ponies usually know which way is "home" be it back to the trailer or camp. That being said, knowing how to use a map and compass will get you home every time no doubt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts