The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice from the heavy horse owners on wearing steel capped boots or not? Would be gratefully received, after having just recovered from a badly broken foot (unable to use it for three months, and never to be the same again) :?

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dad bought me a pair of steel toe capped safety boots after being stepped on one too many times (even a lighter horse can hurt if he steps on you in the wrong way!). They're real safety boots so a little heavy and bulky, but I love them and they are shaped like jodhpur boots so blend in quite nicely. They're very sturdy and have 'grippy' soles so I don't have to worry about easily slipping in mud or other bad terrain. They're also more affordable and durable than any riding boots I have come across. I am guessing the 'real' riding boots with steel toe caps may be more expensive though.

Many safety boot brands make ones that look like jodhpur boots. The ones I have: Teleza Chelsea Boot | Hi-Tec South Africa

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a pair of the Mountain Horse paddock boots with steel toe. I actually got them because they were the only steel toes that I could find in a women's 6 and I needed some to travel to a different plant that actually cares about worker's crunched toes. I ride in them sometimes now and they are actually pretty nice. The steel toe is not very noticeable, so I am not bothered by it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I would avoid steel-toe boots if possible :S Surely I'm not the only one that's heard the horror stories?

Think about it - horses are HEAVY. Heavy things can bend steel. Steel can crush your toes.

It's not worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I wear steel toes in everyday life, my cowboy boots are even steel toe. I like to be able to go ride in whatever I decide to wear and not have to change out steel toe boots for a pair of non-steel toe. I'd have to go out and buy a pair without the steel, and I just can't fathom spending extra money on boots when I have two comfortable and good looking boots with steel.

I've never had a problem with the steel bending with good quality boots. I've dropped a few hundred and had many hooves stand on my Chippewas, the steel is still in the same mold/position it was when I bought the boots. I don't work with anything (horse or otherwise) that weighs over a ton, so I figure my steel toes will work just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've always been told to never wear steel toe boots around horses. Like Tracer I have hear hundreds of horror stories including people losing their toes.

Sorry to hear about your foot OP - I hope you recover quickly!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
390 Posts
What? I always wear my steel toe jodphurs around horses. I have gotten stepped on badly by a few horses and have completely ruined my big toe nail by this(LOVELY).
So I have had my steel toe jodphurs for 15 years. Never had a problem after that.
But depending on how heavy youre horse is I guess ?

·
Super Moderator
14,492 Posts
I have the friend who had the steel toe collapse and trap his foot in a regular work-boot.
Granted, a draft-cross bred horse {smaller one} spooked bad went up and came down in a split second...{today that horse would be considered a warmblood}
We cut the boot off and then had to pry {NOT easy} enough space to release his toes...

Broke 3 toes, had a nasty gash to heal but he had his toes still.
Don't know if the outcome would of been about the same without steel toes...kind of think it would...pounding pressure and pinched/cut...yea, lots of blood and broken bones.

Personally, I think he was darn lucky not to lose his toes.
BTW...horse was about 1700 pounds and didn't go up very high, a skip and a OUCH!.

I won't wear them, ever for riding boots.
To heavy and to me after seeing what I saw...nope, not happening.
I will ride with my regular leather riding boots...TY! Take my chances....30+ years and still no significant injury other than very seldom black & blue toes...
To each their own...
:wink:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have to wear them everyday for work but by the end of the day I feel like I'm lifting 20lbs per boot!
If I dealt with the drafts I would probably go ahead and wear them at the stable but with average horses I've never found them to be necessary.
Have been stomped and stepped a zillion times but by wearing a good quality leather boot I've never even had a bruised toe!

·
Super Moderator
12,445 Posts
I've seen toes cut off if the horse steps just right. My preference is for a steel toe when working drafts but depending on where they step that may not prevent fractures. Always being alert and aware of your feet in relation to theirs goes a long way to keeping feet safe. That said there are times when the unexpected happens. My worst injuries have always been from the actions of someone that is unfamiliar with how horses respond or are careless. I remembered this from my son watching back to back MB when it rains and there is nothing to do. Here is the link Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 42: Steel Toe Amputation, Bottle Rocket Blast Off
Cleaning up from a hurricane years ago my DH was taking down a mature pine and had it slip off the stump onto his foot. Luckily the ground was soft enough to dig around and to pull his foot from under the tree. Getting the boot off was not easy but the steel toe meant he actually had a foot to save.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I will not wear steel toe caps.
I was bought a pair when showing Shires. The inevitable happened and my foot beat the mare to the same spot. I ended up with a nasty cut on my foot from the steel, broken toes and the boot having to be cut off which, being steel was not easy. To be fair, my foot had swollen quite a bit by the time I went to remove the boot!

They only protect the toes, not the higher foot. Broken toes mend easily cuts on foot are more painful!

Be assured, I am sure that toes develop eyes and get out of the way when they see a hoof descending!

·
Administrator
36,075 Posts
I had this discussion yesterday with the lady who does Equine Physio on my horses because my Clyde x had managed to just catch the end of my toe the day before when she got mixed signals (thanks DH!!) and I couldn't move fast enough. She gave a big NO to steel toe caps for the reasons already stated and prefers to wear a good sturdy boot which helps protect but without a risk of the damage the steel could do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.