The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't see any forum for riding wear so I'm posting this here.

Does anyone know of any good brands of steel toed riding boots? I was looking at Equitector boots but they were very expensive, £320 for their long boots with an estimated waiting time of nearly 2 months which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
If a horse is stepping into your area, I think you need to correct that lack of respect and get them out of your personal space. Horses should NOT walk over or into you.. EVER! :/ So dangerous and not to mention rude on their part! 1000lbs versus ~100lbs!

Personally I don't think you should get steel toed boots, IMOP. They tire you out, and you shouldn't ride in them (my opinion and from experience.)

But that's only my opinion. Be careful!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with Sky, you need to address the behavior issue that is causing him to get so far into your space that he is stepping on your toes often enough to make you think you need steel toes.

One other thing to think about, the steel in steel toed boots isn't really that thick and it is still possible to bend it. I've known a couple of people who were wearing steel toes and when they dropped something on their foot that weighed only a few hundred pounds, it bent the steel down into their toes and they could not remove the boot. They had to call the EMTs and have the boot cut off. :?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's not that it happens often but I'd rather have the protection if it does happen, as with a riding helmet. I'm sure we've all had horses freak out before. I've had my foot stood on numerous times now before I had any chance to react. Riding many different horses I can't know their individual behaviours.

I don't think that being tired out is going to be an issue, I'm not going to be doing any walking in them.

As for the steel being bent, I'd rather cut off the boot than have a broken foot. The standard that they meet protects against any foot damage with upto 1000kg of weight.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I wear steel toes when I'm handling horses I don't know in a work-type setting. I have them for my "day job" but at the barn on weekends if I'm doing turn in or turn out, they are on my feet. In my experience, for people who regularity work at barns and a lot of BOs who help with chores, steel toes are almost standard. I don't ride in them though...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Years ago, I worked in two very large stables in my state, and the staff were always told to never wear steel-toed boots on the job - I was very glad to be wearing regular work boots one day when a young TB began prancing in excitement as I was getting the gate open to his paddock during the a.m. turnout - needless to say, he "pranced" on my big toe, but at that unfortunate moment he then decided to stand still!
It was comparable to having 1000 lbs of compression on my foot! I was able to get him to lift up, get in his paddock, and then had an 8 hr. work day ahead! Needless to say, I ended up losing the toenail, (which grew back months later, however), but if I had steel-toed boots on..... Eeeek! I can't even imagine!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Yep, the only drawback of steel toes is they don't protect the side of the foot! I like the ankle support and without them I would not be able to wear sandals lol. They have saved my feet many a time.

Why would heavy industry require them if they were so dangerous?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
If you do decide to get them, make sure the treads aren't super deep where they could get caught in the stirrup. That's what happened to me. Very scary stuff.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't know any kind of specific steel toe boot but Mountain Horse offers a couple boots that have them. (they're really comfy too)
Though I wouldn't really advertise wearing steel toes. they get kind of heavy after awhile and they can be dangerous if a horse steps on them

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would heavy industry require them if they were so dangerous?
Posted via Mobile Device
It's a bizarre myth indeed. You see people making arguments against pretty much any safety equipment despite being legally mandated. I have seen people claim that riding helmets are dangerous despite saving many lives.

If you do decide to get them, make sure the treads aren't super deep where they could get caught in the stirrup. That's what happened to me. Very scary stuff.
They are designed pretty much the same as normal riding boots.

http://www.equitector.com/longriding.cfm

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wear steel toes any time I am working with horses- no exceptions. I've been stepped on numerous times over the past 15 years and havn't felt a thing ;). I also had one crazy 2 year old rear up and slam down on one of my feet, and the shoes were not damaged in the least bit- and neither was my foot. I was very fortunate in that circumstance that I did not get hit in the face with a hoof, and came away completely unscathed, thanks to the steel toed boots!
I would not recommend them for riding due to the fact that most steel toed boots have very thick treads, but you may be able to find something suitable if that is what you want, and if you look around enough.
The steel can bend and crush your foot, but it takes a tremendous force to do such- having a horse step on them will not be enough force to damage the boots. CSA and ANSI standard boots go through rigorous testing to ensure they are durable enough for heavy industrial type industries, which makes them the safest ones to buy when shopping for steel toes boot.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
70 Posts
Boy - I have read some rubbish before but steel toe caps are never designed to sever toes!

Horses may be perfectly trained and still spook into your space - saying you should train your horse better is just daft too - does the same apply to wearing a riding hat? Nope and I would no more get on a horse without a hat than I would wear non steel capped boots!

Ashley - I would recommend Regent Epsom steel toe jodhpur boots - you can sometimes get them on Ebay for around £30 - 35. From Rideaway they are about £50. I wear them all the time, whether riding or not, they are very comfortable and meet EU specs for protection EN ISO 20345-2004 - 200 Kjoules

·
Registered
726 Posts
I know a guy who wore steel toes around his percherons and one stepped on his foot that the steel cap bent backwards and cut his toes off. If he wasn't wearing steel toes, his foot would probably just been broken.

Reactions: smrobs

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I know a guy who wore steel toes around his percherons and one stepped on his foot that the steel cap bent backwards and cut his toes off. If he wasn't wearing steel toes, his foot would probably just been broken.

I also know someone this happened to.

You can all say it is a myth all you like but it is not a myth when it has happened in REAL LIFE.

My boyfriend is required to wear steel toe boots on some of his job sites and I hate them! When he comes home from work I hide them so that he does not wear them other then when he has too.

I have had my feet stepped on a few times in my life, even being bare foot, it only hurts while they are standing on your foot (if you have a boot on) and I have never had any serious injuries from my foot being stepped on. The worst thing it has caused me was a sore foot with an ugly bruise, but I just sucked it up and put my big girl panties on and dealt with it.

I agree with the above posters about this being a behavioral issue that you should fix not cover up with protective wear. The only times I have had it happen to me were all my fault, I was either not paying attention to my surroundings or I put my foot in their way.

I would rather deal with this kind of superficial injury then the lose of some toes. Myth or not, I don't want to loose any toes!

(do not judge my ugly feet, for I believe feet are for walking on not to look pretty) this was also about 5 min after it happened it got a lot uglier before it got pretty

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.