The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some videos of a horse that is just being broke, I am not sure how many days he has on him yet but as I am watching I am noticing that when he is asked to sidepass or back up or anything like that, his feet seem "Stuck" like he drags them for backing up and for sidepass he kinda drags and then awkwardly picks up at the last min. Any ideas why? He seems to walk trot canter fine but not move his feet at a standstill.
I wonder is that any indication of his demeanor? Like if he is scared he isn't a bolter, he will just kinda plant there? He is a 9 year old mustang and just now being started. Any thoughts? I can link to the video

https://wildhorsesonline.blm.gov/animals/11620780

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I watched the video when he's asking for side pass. Direction he's asking for he has that rein out wide. So side passing to left you'd have left rein out wide giving him direction right leg putting pressure pushing him left.

Make sure your left leg is off his side so not to block him going left.

Backing up looks like guy is using steady pressure on both reins. Not totally sure exactly what he's doing.

My guess is your horse is still green so not totally getting what's being asked.

Everyone one rides a little different and that could be part of it. Your probably more soft in your cues. So horse has to adjust to your way of riding an cueing.

·
Registered
48,573 Posts
Watched vid. I think it's just the horse not having enough training on him and the rider being a bit careless with the reins. At this level of his training, he's not very attuned to the bit. Honestly, I wouldn't be neck reining this horse yet, but all in all, I think he's a dandy little guy, and the rider is doing fine. It's just a matter of more time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone see an odd bend to horse's front right leg?
Yes I see it. After he backs up and is just supposed to stand there. He doesn't seem to put it straight or any weight on it. I thought it was funny too. He stood there a long time with it like that. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Despite the rider/trainer he is a nice horse. I think the stickiness is a lack of experience from the rider and confidence from the colt.

In a video of him riding in an outdoor arena this horse(after several strides) swapped leads on his own. He wants to be soft and after him swapping leads and how pretty moving he is, he has some athleticism.

I think with a more experienced rider he'd make a really nice soft and willing horse.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I noticed the guy is riding the colt one handed he's neck reining. Like @COWCHICK77 said he's going to be a nice horse. He's wanting to be soft in the face.

And has some nice lead changes going for him. I'd take this horse in a heartbeat I'd have him spinning an sliding stops and soft giving to bit. Riding down the tail crossing water, and everything you encounter on the trails.

He's a nice horse and forgiving of his rider. That says a lot about him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this horse and 19 others are at the Northern Nevada Correctional Center (prison) and are being trained by inmates there. They only have 120 days of handling on them. I really like the look of this guy. They are going to be auctioned off on the 3rd through the 10th. I think he looks like he has good potential. There are several horses I am interested in. We shall see how much they go for. I have heard that they go for several thousand dollars and I do not have that sort of money to purchase a horse right now. So fingers crossed they don't go too high!

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Because I'm on my phone I cant tell if there is a bend in the leg or if it is shadows in an indoor arena and an imbalanced horse.

@MustangMom if you really are interested go to the sale or sign up for online bidding. Set yourself a limit on what you are willing to spend and don't get caught up in the heat of the moment bidding.

@Knave bought a horse from that sale and if I remember right someone she knew did as well. Maybe she could offer some insight?
Knave has come leaps and bounds with hers and he has become quite the model citizen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts