The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have been riding in lessons for about 14 months now and work at the farm that I ride at. One of the lesson horses suffered a stifle injury that has him on stall rest for at least a year. I have taken it upon myself (with the permission of the barn owner) to help with his rehab. He needs to be hand walked daily since he can't be turned out and obviously can't be ridden. He's been on stall rest for almost 3 months and I've been working with him for about 2 weeks. According to the other staff, he never had the best ground manners before the injury. He will stand for grooming and maybe 50% of the time he behaves. But on several occasions he spooks, rears and generally is a handful. I've added a stud chain to his halter (over the nose) and it helps a little. We only walk where it is quiet and when I can we bring a buddy that's stabled near him with another person walking that horse. The owner of the barn doesn't want him to have any sedatives. Any tips on keeping him and myself safe? Much appreciated. Thanks!1

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have never had stall rest work very well. They usually get too much pent up energy and always re-injure themselves bucking or something.
If it were me I would have him on regular paddock turnout especially if your talking long term

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
What are they feeding him? A horse on long-term stall rest doesn't need grain, just a mineral supplement. Hard feed gives them energy they don't need.

Reactions: jae12382

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It doesn't seem to be working all that well for him either. Unfortunately he doesn't have access to a place to be turned out where he could be safe. He would be turned out with the other geldings back into the herd. The vet has already said no to that. He is still on the same feed as when he was in the lesson program just cut back a little. He definitely has plenty of energy to burn ;) He's not officially mine so I don't get a lot of say in most decisions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do they have a corral that he could be turned out in at night? That would solve a lot of problems.

Most schooling barns will have a main arena and a smaller area like a corral/indoor arena.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
728 Posts
If the vet has prescribed a TQ and the owner chooses not to use it along with not taking the heavy grain out of the program, then I wouldn't be bothered with the mess. Let it be their problem as if they had not allowed poor manners in the first place they wouldn't be in this position. I currently have one on a 6
Month stall rest. It is a yearling and it
Cracked the bone near the growth plate. He will be on hand walking walking after that. If mine doesn't pass with a clean X-ray then my insurance company will be paying a loss of use claim on him, however I much rather have him for the futurities. Mine gets a TQ twice a
Day and I have an extra dose if needed. He gets a RB and his hay. He has a bit of rib showing but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They do have an indoor arena and I'm not sure why they're not using it for him to turn out in at night. I'll see if maybe that's an option for him. I know it's used for lessons and by boarders on a regular basis. His stall is actually in the same building as the indoor arena. The downside is that he spooks at the miniature horses that have their pen next to it.

I'm not sure if the vet prescribed a sedative or not. Since he's not my horse I have no say on what meds he gets or what he gets to eat. But I've grown attached to him and don't just want to give up on him and walk away. He seems in better spirits with having some company and someone taking care of him.

Sorry to hear about your horse's injury, BugZapper89. I hope he heals and comes back okay :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update!
Red was able to be turned out in the round pen last night! Only for about 20 minutes but it did him a lot of good. He was SO happy. If he looks fine today he'll gradually start building up more time. It made hand walking him a lot easier after he got to get some of his energy out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And since he did so well over the weekend, Red is now able to be turned out with other horses. I'm hoping he doesn't do something to injure himself further. But he's improving. May even be able to be ridden again. He is officially retired from jumping though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts