The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a little discomfort creeping into the ankles this morning during my ride, and I think I need to tweak my gear for trail riding so I'm not worn out after a short ride!. I ride in a Wintec dressage saddle (which I love) with ordinary peacock stirrups. I'd call myself a trail rider, but 95% of my riding is some form of schooling. I'd be open to any type of stirrup that will fit 1" leathers. Jointed? Slanted? Offset loops for the leathers? Would love suggestions!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Knees and ankles are my issues. I use a pair of sprung-footplate irons by Metalab where there's give in the base and flexible links both sides of the frame. I found them good for hacking and schooling but can't get used to the extra movement for jumping, so revert to the old faithful PSOBs for that.
All irons should fit up to 1 1/4" leathers, which are the widest 'standard' you'll come across (gent's hunt weight) - most are 7/8" - 1" nowadays, apart from narrower leathers designed for small children.

I'm told any stirrup with a footplate that moves, even a limited amount, can be a help, particularly for ankles. It's bodyweight down the leg, which tends to keep tension on the achilles and the feet in a relatively stable position, is the main reason for ligament pain.

Hope you find something to ease it! :)

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
I have those sort of irons; the ones that flex, or rather 'roll'..
Where exactly is the discomfort? is it along the outside of the ankle, sort of running up the outside edge of your lower leg? That was my issue, and I created a wedged foot bed, with the outside higher than the inside. I just did this with padding , and sort of wrapped it onto the existing footbed, but you can actually buy wedge shaped footbed to replace the flat ones. That helped a lot.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just bought some Composite Reflex (Reflex RIGID are the ones I have but you can also get colored ones) second hand and hoping to try them out soon. I get knee pain first after riding about 3 h and then ankle pain after that. The Compositi Reflex have wide foot bed and a it moves a little (like rotates a little bit so it presses down at the back with movement of your foot).

Otherwise, if you are after safety stirrups, I have read that the Acavallo Arena Alupro are good. I am planning to try them in future when I can save up as I would prefer to have safety stirrups just in case (I got dragged once in a fall as a child so it is a fear of mine).

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have those sort of irons; the ones that flex, or rather 'roll'..
Where exactly is the discomfort? is it along the outside of the ankle, sort of running up the outside edge of your lower leg? That was my issue, and I created a wedged foot bed, with the outside higher than the inside. I just did this with padding , and sort of wrapped it onto the existing footbed, but you can actually buy wedge shaped footbed to replace the flat ones. That helped a lot.
I hadn't thought of sloping the foot beds with padding, that's a good idea! It would tell me if that type of stirrup would relieve the strain. I actually just noticed the somewhat non-specific ankle discomfort today (haven't ridden much in a couple of months due to weather), but I know that after an hour of up and down at the nearby state park, I'm about done for in the hips and knees, now my ankles are whining! I'm trying to get in better shape so I can hopefully ride longer, but there's only so much you can do for worn out joints!

I'm very grateful to all for suggestions!

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
if you do anything to adapt your stirrups that makes them effectively tighter, then I'd only do it if they were plenty large to begin with. A too small iron is a big no-no. dangerous.

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
I have been looking at these. Tucker Hooded Ergo Balance Trail Glide
stirrups.
I had been thinking of posting for reviews but just hadn’t gotten around to it yet. Any thoughts?
'I think you can only use those with a Western type saddle. the bar that the stirrup leather is wrapped around is designed for something 2.5 to 3 inches wide, I think.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you do anything to adapt your stirrups that makes them effectively tighter, then I'd only do it if they were plenty large to begin with. A too small iron is a big no-no. dangerous.
Yes, I have big feet, hence, big irons! LOL!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'I think you can only use those with a Western type saddle. the bar that the stirrup leather is wrapped around is designed for something 2.5 to 3 inches wide, I think.
I have actually been looking at the non hooded ones. They also have a 1 1/2" bar. I can make that work.

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
I love my son's korsteel flex. They relieve enough pressure that I don't get off stiff. I have also found adding the thinline stability leathers that are one piece under the leg with a loop for stirrup really makes a difference as well. You just have to be aware of how to measure for them and know your use. My son has a set for jumping that luckily has enough holes he can use for flat as well. If not he would have a second set for dressage.

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
I have actually been looking at the non hooded ones. They also have a 1 1/2" bar. I can make that work.
ok. if the bar is a lot bigger than the width of the leathers, it will tip to one side once you put weight on the stirrup .

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok. if the bar is a lot bigger than the width of the leathers, it will tip to one side once you put weight on the stirrup .
Oh, but you underestimate me! LOL! I am a retired harness maker with lots of spiffy leftover stuff from my shop days, including a monster sewing machine and a penchant for modifying tack to suit myself. (And no off-the-shelf tack ever suits me! LOL!) I can stitch a wider piece of leather to the stirrup leathers where it will bend over the bar, making the leather the same width as that particular stirrup bar. Better yet, I can just fix up a "safe" of the appropriate width that will slide onto the stirrup leather without stitching.

All that being said, I'm looking at a pair of ridiculously expensive irons that are quite adjustable for angles.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just an update on the Compositi Reflex I was trying. I don't think they will help my knee pain. I tried them in my lesson today and started to get a little bit bothered by the end. I am used to riding with a toe cage, and the only times I have got a sore knee, I have been riding without toe cages. I wonder if the toe cage helps me keep a better foot position to not bother my knee. Next I am going to try some flexible stirrups with a toe cage.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just got some Acavallo Arena Alupro and have tried them out in an arena lesson where really liked them (way more than the Compositi Reflex). Will update after I have tried them on a longer ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts