The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have broken 2 stirrup leathers in the last 2 months. I know I am putting too much pressure in the stirrups, but I just learned to post 2 months ago (always rode Western before) so it's a work in progress. Now, the leathers were already old and worn as it was, but now I have a complex. I guess I am looking for the best leathers for a beginner who doesn't quite know how to post. DH said the nylon lined would probably be the best, but IDK enough about them. Any advice?

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
try the ones that are stitched with nylon, and adjust on the bottom. u m m .. I think Wintec webbers. They are very strong, and easy to change the length of stirrup, while in the saddle.

it is very rare for stirrup leathers to break and could not be from you putting too mcuh weight in them. Think of how much weight is put onthem when you mount, and they are designed to take that.

you should, however, periodically check them for cracks, and more importantly, your girth billets. if your stirrup leathers are so old they are breakind, then you girth billets may be too, and that is even more dangerous.
you cannot just mail order new ones. you have to have a saddler or aleather worker sew in new ones.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try the ones that are stitched with nylon, and adjust on the bottom. u m m .. I think Wintec webbers. They are very strong, and easy to change the length of stirrup, while in the saddle.

it is very rare for stirrup leathers to break and could not be from you putting too mcuh weight in them. Think of how much weight is put onthem when you mount, and they are designed to take that.

you should, however, periodically check them for cracks, and more importantly, your girth billets. if your stirrup leathers are so old they are breakind, then you girth billets may be too, and that is even more dangerous.
you cannot just mail order new ones. you have to have a saddler or aleather worker sew in new ones.
The billets are fine. The leathers didn't come with the saddle, they were just old ones I found in the hay loft. I usually check my tack before hand. I noticed a crack today, but figured it would be ok. Wrong, it broke mid-post.
But I totally get what you're saying. From now on I will always make sure my tack is perfect, no cracks or anything.

Oh, and I ordered Camelot Nylon Lined leathers. They got pretty good reviews and the price was right.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Those should work just fine for you- the nylon core will keep them from stretching out and should also add a bit of strength too.

I've never heard of leathers breaking, but I can certainly see how they could if they're old and don't have the nylon core. Probably a case of dry rot or other such damage.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
With nylon lined leathers (or those with a nylon core) they'll still stretch, even if the manufacturers say they wont.

It's the holes that cause the problem, so the trick is the same as with all-leather leathers - change the length you ride at periodically, and swop them over, which helps stop one or two holes being overstressed and the leather outer from stretching more one side than the other :)

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
I haven't seen ANY stretching in mine (HdR & Bates). The HdR have been used daily for about a year, and the Bates probably have about a year of total wear on them as well.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
It's not due to your posting that the leathers broke... it's the quality/repair of the leathers themselves. I was once stable manager for some girls at a pony club rally, and after one of the girl's leathers were deemed to be in poor repair we had to get the ones out of the spare tack box. These were brand new, cardboard quality leathers. When I was putting them on the saddle I pulled down on one of them while adjusting and it broke on the spot. SO glad that I broke it before the poor girl got in the saddle since it snapped under the weight of my arm!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've never heard of leathers breaking, but I can certainly see how they could if they're old and don't have the nylon core. Probably a case of dry rot or other such damage.
I broke one once, in a fall. It was my fault - one leather had a small nick from catching on a gatepost across country, and I'd not replaced them. As it happens, the circumstances of the fall meant it was probably a good job it did snap or I might have broken my neck (leather went across the saddle so it couldn't pull off the bar). It left me with damaged discs, but still mostly in one piece :D

My usual advice about leathers is to buy the best quality you can afford and look after them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Nylon has solved my stirrup strap problems. I've had virtually new leathers, well oiled in good shape visually still break while other leathers over 3 years old still holding up fine. There's too many variables with leather that can have a major impact on how they hold up (e.g. quality, age, care, wear, etc.....). While nylon may stretch with use it's easy enough to adjust it as needed (leather stretches too).
Nylon is also so easy to clean and maintain compared to leather.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I have never heard of stirrup leathers breaking... This is a thing? o.o Yikes.

I have Passier and Sohn stirrup leathers, to match my saddle. And before that, I believe I had Bates... Never any issues, so I would recommend both.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I'll just add that I've also noticed the issue with synthetic leathers stretching. Years ago I bought a pair of wintec webbers that I was told by my trainer wouldn't stretch. Not thinking, I slapped them on the saddle, adjusted to my normal hole, hopped on, and they were SO short!! They stretched a ton, and switching the sides every few rides during the stretching period made it a non-issue. I would still switch them around every once in awhile until they just plain wore out and I didn't trust them to not tear through my hole of choice. I bought another pair, and apparently the quality has improved over time. I've had them since over the summer with almost no stretching, they didn't immediately begin to look worn like my previous pair, and they came with a little guard over the buckle area.

I guess the moral of that story is that even nylon/synthetic leathers will stretch. I've gotten to the point in my horsey life that when I hear someone say "Oh, my leathers have never stretched out, and I don't switch them around!" that I assume they are either lying or don't realize that they have. Every time I have gotten into one of those folks' saddles the stirrups are either uneven, or adjusted to different holes. Very few people actually do rotate them, and almost every stirrup leather material that I've seen has some degree of stretch to it.

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
my stirrup leathers must be at least 15 years old and still in VERY usable condition. Don't over oil, but don't forget to check and condition once in awhile. They have years on them, still.

the problem could be that the saddle was kept in a car or somewhere really hot and it dried out, then cracked. and the leather might not have been of good quality to begin with.

there are some things were quality really matters, and this is one of them.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I agree with all the others, stirrups will not break from your weight and posting unless they're already damaged in some way. There is wear tear, usually it's the stitching that goes first and they just fall apart, but leather ones can develop cracks and weak spots.

Get whatever stirrup leather you like, none should break in the short term, all material will stretch over time, rotate them or replace them.

Webbers are okayish, some people like them, others don't, I prefer normal leather leathers, but webbers can be better if you're riding without long boots/gaiters.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I love MT leathers. They are SO soft and nice without any break-in or conditioning. I have them on both my saddles. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your best bet would to be to go with something with a Nylon Core or Nylon lined which is highly durable and wont stretch.

·
Registered
787 Posts
With the Wintec Webbers, or Bates, or anything else that uses that same metal T hook, the metal hook can break. Or can work its way out of the hole, to release the stirrup.

When buying stirrup leathers today, beware of all the imported junk that's out there. Stuff from India and Pakistan and maybe other parts of Asia is often tanned in urine. That cheap leather doesn't last long before it weakens. Nylon core with leather wrapping should be better, even in an inexpensive leather.

If you saddle isn't particularly soft leather or synthetic, you should get English-made leathers, made from English stirrup butts, a sturdy leather that will last decades. And a stainless steel bucket.

Gary Mundy makes nice stirrup leathers and monostrap stirrup straps. I am not sure what his are made of. You can find his contact information on some of these horse boards.

These from Fennell's will hold any larger person. I have the 1.25" and the 1". I bought the 1.25" wide ones to go on some old cutback saddle I have that has huge long stirrup bars, from the days when 1.25" stirrup leathers were the norm.
Mens Stirrup LeathersItem Number: 5264-2
1" x 54"
Price:$64.50
Mens Wide Stirrup Leathers
Item Number: 5264-3
1 1/4" x 54" or 60" XL
Size: 54" Regular Length, 60" Extra Long
Color:
Price:$66.50

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
When buying stirrup leathers today, beware of all the imported junk that's out there. Stuff from India and Pakistan and maybe other parts of Asia is often tanned in urine. That cheap leather doesn't last long before it weakens.
Somewhat off topic for this thread, but I have always heard about cheap Indian leather being tanned in urine. Does this practice contribute to the product being inferior or less secure than tanning using other methods? Or do people just mention it to gross you out and scare you away from it? Maybe it's just me... but I personally wouldn't have an issue just because urine was used in creating the product. If the urine directly contributed to it being inferior then yes, but otherwise I'm not going to freak out about it. For what it's worth though, I avoid purchasing such products anyway...

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
With the Wintec Webbers, or Bates, or anything else that uses that same metal T hook, the metal hook can break. Or can work its way out of the hole, to release the stirrup.
I used to use Wintec webbers when I rode in a Wintec saddle, and now have Prestige's leather version of webbers ("Prestige Ideal Dressage Stirrup Leathers"), which I like more than the Bates webbers. I've never had (or heard of anyone having) an issue with the T hooks breaking or slipping out, though I can see how that might happen.

These from Fennell's will hold any larger person. I have the 1.25" and the 1". I bought the 1.25" wide ones to go on some old cutback saddle I have that has huge long stirrup bars, from the days when 1.25" stirrup leathers were the norm.
Mens Stirrup LeathersItem Number: 5264-2
1" x 54"
Price:$64.50
Mens Wide Stirrup Leathers
Item Number: 5264-3
1 1/4" x 54" or 60" XL
Size: 54" Regular Length, 60" Extra Long
Color:
Price:$66.50
I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of gender-specific stirrup leathers :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
I have never heard of stirrup leathers breaking... This is a thing? o.o Yikes.

I have Passier and Sohn stirrup leathers, to match my saddle. And before that, I believe I had Bates... Never any issues, so I would recommend both.
Jumping quality leathers have broken in polo games and practices. We use buffalo hide leathers. Awful to get set, but trustworthy.

I went to them on all my, and my kids', saddles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.