The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned this in another thread, and I recall it being brought up before as well.

Why / how do stirrups cause knee pain? I don't currently have knee pain and I'd really like it to stay that way. What can I do to keep my stirrups from contributing to knee pain?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know as I have never suffered it either (during riding; I get stiff/sore knees at other times), but maybe it depends on your particular build/structure and how that fits with your particular horse and saddle? One of my instructors is always saying at the end of a lesson to let my feet out of the stirrups to move my feet around and relieve my sore ankles, and it is just something she says because she gets sore ankles but I never do so I am always saying "I don't need to, my ankles are fine". So that is not knees, but similar.

Oh actually, yes one time, I did get sore knees after a 2-h trail ride/trek where I was put in a saddle (stock) that really seemed to disagree with me (it also gave me chafing on my butt).

·
Registered
49,434 Posts
Are we talking a Western or an English type stirrup?

I had a dressage saddle that I used knock offs of the $225 Herm Sprenger flexing stirrup pads. They do help some. I also found that if the outside edge of the stirrup bar was higher than the inside ( so, if you look at the stirrups position from behind the horse, you in the saddle, the stirrups would slant at an upward angle on the outer side, outside higher than the side against the hrose.)

This helped my knees a LOT. you can get stirrup pads that doe this. I removed mine from the iron and made my own, and wrapped them ont the flat of the iron. They were padded, too, becuase I used to find that the bottoms of my feet would get tingly and numb.

there are similare upstions in Western stirrups.

When I did that long, 20 mile a day, trail ride two years ago, I bough a pair of wide trail stirrups that allowed one to twist them to the position (horizontal to the ground) that was easiest on your knee, and lock them into the rotational position. That helped, but my knees were in absolute AGONY by the end of the 6 to 8 hour day. Getting off and walking was the only cure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts