Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stone Bruising.

I have a friend whose horse is prone to having stone bruising.
Can anyone give me some pointers to help relieve this and what to do as a preventative measure??

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Try leaving more on the bottom of the foot when trimming. Best advice I can give right now, not knowing more about the situation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Time is the only thing to heal current bruises. Try to keep the horse of hard, rocky ground. Use protective boots on the fronts if shoeing isn't an option and apply venetian turpentine to harden soles of hoof. This has worked for me in the past with my old mare. Good luck

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I've been using Keratex (apply only to sole, not frog) and it seems to be working. I've had two with stone bruises in the last year, and since I've ben using it I haven't had any more problems. Knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
23,898 Posts
Hi Apollo,

When a horse is 'prone' to stone bruises, that usually means the horse has very thin soles. It also means there is not enough protection under the foot - as the horse's soles/frogs aren't up to it, artificial protection is needed.

Thin soles is *generally* due to inappropriate hoofcare. Eg. 'Run forward' feet become thin & 'dropped'. Farriers still commonly carve into sole and frog when trimming, taking away any protection that can grow too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would try a hoof hardener like Jim Rickens. A lot of race horse trainers around here use it. There are others on the market that are good also.

·
Premium Member
23,898 Posts
^'Hoof hardeners' can indeed help. A little. But they are no substitute for adequate protection. Making thin soles 'harder' - more brittle - will provide marginally more protection to the corium, for minor 'bruisers', but more major bruising - and bruising from *above* from P3 being too close to the surface - needs to be treated with padding/boots until such time as the hooves can *grow thick* soles & frogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.