The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just lost a pony to stones. Two years ago, we removed a huge one from his stall mate. We've had them for about 5 years, (they are both @30). One vet said that the cause is feeding them SoCal Alfalfa. Another said it's the hard water. A stable owner said to put vinegar in the feed. A vet said that does nothing, it would take so much vinegar to make a difference that it would pickle the pony. What is the best way to prevent stones from forming and to slow their growth? We feed hay and pellets. Is there an ingedient in some pellets we should avoid? Is there a water treatment or filtration system that helps?
Thank you,
Tim

·
Registered
Retired breeder
2,269 Posts
This article may help you,

·
Registered
Retired breeder
2,269 Posts
Alfalfa is the main hay feed here in the northwest. MANY horses eat it their entire lives without trouble. It just depends on the horse.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
2,269 Posts
The issue is that in California the alfalfa is especially high in minerals that cause the enteroliths. That is why the problem is very prevalent in California horses.
THank you for explaining that. I was not aware there was a difference. Here in WA OR and ID, there are a LOT of horses that eat alfalfa their entire lives and no problems.

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
i live in CA. The hay here is higher in ca/phos ratio. If you are feeding alfalfa you do not need to feed a bunch of supplements, grains, etc. Also you can offset this by feeding oat hay or grass hay at night. I have not seen a hay test come back high mag. If you are buying dairy hay, and not horse hay , you are going to kill your horse. I had to go edit, because the colon made it an emoji..lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts