The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new horse Lilly is gorgeous and i love her to bits. but the bad thing about her is that she is biting my other horse lucy. she even tore her rug and tore through some tissue. she is really sweet with humans and most horses but she just cant accept the fact she shouldnt bite her.

she is really young so i dont want to do anything to scare her and affect her future.

Please help!

ps- Lucy is too nice to kick her or tell her off so lilly thinks she can get away with it :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How old is Lilly? Sometimes if they are still young they are playful and will bit to get the other horse to play......if it really was bothering Lucy too much she would put her in her place.......

my new horse Lilly is gorgeous and i love her to bits. but the bad thing about her is that she is biting my other horse lucy. she even tore her rug and tore through some tissue. she is really sweet with humans and most horses but she just cant accept the fact she shouldnt bite her.

she is really young so i dont want to do anything to scare her and affect her future.

Please help!

ps- Lucy is too nice to kick her or tell her off so lilly thinks she can get away with it :)

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
You just have to accept that it is normal horse communication. That's the way they rock&roll, if you please. And, believe me, the other horse definitely does not mind it, them biting and nipping at each other is just daily hierarchy setting. You can't help it. Once they set their pecking order, the biting will probably lessen over time. Besides, what looks like a serious bite to you - most likely just looks like that to you, because you're a human. They don't perceive it that way. If you interfere or separate them, you will just prolong further conflicts.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
As Saranda said, that's just the way horses are. It can take a while for a new horse to settle into a herd so given some time it might stop or at least become less frequent.

There is really nothing to be done about it. We can teach horses not to bite and kick when we're handling them but when they're in the paddock they're free to be horses. The only way to stop horses biting other horses is to keep the by themselves, and that can have worse side effects than the biting. Just give them time they should sort it out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Saranda's right on the money! It'll take some time, but it should diminish in time after they set their pecking order. Our two geldings went at it pretty hard for a while, but eventually it slowed way down. They still play around and bite/nip at each, but not at all like they did for the first year when we put the new younger one in with the big thoroughbred!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.