The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mouse nibbled a hole in a vulnerable part of the tin that I use to store my chicken feed. I fixed it with duct tape, thinking that the stickiness would stop it, but it didn't. What is the best but easiest way to seal the hole?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kill the mice! Filthy vermin, aren't they?
I actually pulled the mouse out of there while my ancient cat was around and showed it to him. The cat was like, "wha -- huh?" as the mouse scurried away. I haven't caught it since.

·
Registered
Dreama - rescue from the local dog pound. Some type of gaited horse mix of unknown history.
430 Posts
I have always heard stuffing the hole with steel wool does the trick. That's how they stopped them from coming in at the local arts center I worked at for a bit, the director said it worked wonders. Don't know whether it would work better than or equivalent to Foxhunter's tin can idea. Either sound like a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
14,940 Posts
I was going to suggest a piece of sheet metal larger than the hole screwed to the current side of the bucket, inside and out, or pop-rivet it together so you "sandwich" the hole between 2 solid pieces of fresh metal.

All I can say is your mice must have strong teeth and jaws to chew through metal. :eek_color:

In all honesty, I would make a trip to my local hardware store or Tractor Supply and buy a new large steel garbage can with the tight fitting lid and mice are not gaining entry anymore.
With that, you now have a new garbage pail for house garbage to use or actually a new garbage pail with a lid for collecting hand-trash of coffee cups and candy wrappers around the barn...a donation to keeping the place neat & tidy.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
I actually pulled the mouse out of there while my ancient cat was around and showed it to him. The cat was like, "wha -- huh?" as the mouse scurried away. I haven't caught it since.
You let it go??? Are you crazy??? You stomp it dead!

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
A Terrier is way better than a cat at catching vermin.

The place I live in is old (early 1800s) and has no footings so rats will get in every now and then. They did so this winter and chewed a hole through the frame of the bathroom door so I cut the side of a tin and screwed that to the frame.

Part of the problem was that I stored the dog food in there so, I moved it to my garden shed, they chewed into that. I then put the biscuits into a spare wheelie bin in the garden. The beggars got in and out of that via the lid. Stopped that by placing a flowerpot on the top.

They started to come in via the waste pipe of the loo. I put traps down. Caught a young rat in trap, it made a heck of a noise as it was caught by a back leg and tried to get back out through the hole.

There was me on my knees, trying to get hold of the trap without getting bitten, working blindly. Darn Pointer I have was trying to investigate getting in the way.

It happened a second time, more or less exactly the same. This time I had friends dog staying with me. This dog with me daily, would go after all sorts of things and I had to stop him. He was in the bathroom watching me pray around the loo. When I got the trap out I chucked it to Reggie who immediately grabbed it across the neck, one shake, threw it across the bathroom and then immediately looked so guilty as if to say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to do that!"
I was saying, "Good boy Reggie, who's a clever boy?"
That dog puffed himself up and was so proud of himself and rightly so.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
When I first bought my place, it had mice. I HATE MICE! I would be watching TV and see a mouse crawling up my TV cable wire.😱😱 Took me about 2 years of searching to find all the places they were coming in....the pipes around my central ac/heating unit, and around water pipes under sinks. I got some metallic tape, the kind used to install duct work. Metal on one side, sticky on the other, and sealed up every hole. Then to catch the nasty ******s already inside, I placed rat poison next to glue strips. They'd eat the poison, get stupid after a few days, and then end up caught in the glue strips.
One huge lesson I learned is that in the winter, if it's near freezing, DON'T toss the glue strip in the trash outside, the cold makes the strips lose their adhesion, and the mouse would get loose and live to fight another day. Wait till they're dead, then toss em. I HATE MICE!

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
At the farm where I'm at, the mini schnauzers take care of the rodents. The cat, not so much. I think cats have to be pretty hungry to actually work for a living.

Reactions: RegalCharm
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.