The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of beautiful stories of people getting their horses, so I thought we should have one thread for everyone to read the stories!

ROMEO'S STORY:

It was Winter of 2007 and I had been out of riding for about 2-3 years. I was still looking for a horse when my friend's mom gave me a card from a horse sale barn. So I called the guy asking if he had any barrel racing paint mares. He said he had a grey Quarter horse gelding that was a trail horse that would be good for games. So in January I went out to meet this horse. I was DISGUSTED. I thought he was the ugliest, fattest good for nothing horse I had ever seen. (Keep in mind I wanted a registered tobiano paint mare that was a barrel racer). But this guy brought out a fat, dirty, ****y WHITE gelding that hadn't been ridden in 2 years.
I went home that day and I was not that happy.
Then I called again after thinking about it for a while and talking to my mom. I went out and tried him. He was naughty, and really out of shape, but my mom said that is the only horse I could get. (I previously asked the guy about other horses he had).
Since my mom said that is the only horse I could get We went home and thought about it more.
The third time I went out to see "The horse" (The sale guy didn't remember his name) I rode him, he was still naughty, dirty and fat (He sat out in the field all the time) I decided I should get him because he was my only chance at getting a horse. So we set up a time the next day for the man to bring newly named Romeo to my barn.

Well Romeo and I fought so much.... He was stubborn and lazy, and I hadn't ridden in quite a while so he was doing basically whatever he wanted.
He had gotten run through a fence, he picked up naughty habits, and it took forever to get him to lose weight.
But after about a year of working with him and building somewhat of a bond (I still didn't Like him. I loved him, but I didn't like him.) He would take care of me at shows, even though he was naughty and we never placed.
But after a year of boarding at one barn, they kicked us out (Personal problems).
SO we moved Romeo to the current barn I am at now and at this barn I have to go and feed everyday (Didn't have to at the other barn) and I can feel so much more of a bond and respect. I honestly love the horse that I hated when I first got him. We show, and ride together. We have our bad days (I think everybody does) but I know his tricks, and luckily he hasn't caught on to my tricks, so we are a great partnership! Romeo will let me do anything to him/on him, he is a great horse that has a beautiful heart and I love him and I think he loves me!
Pics:
These are either the first or second time I saw him

Day before I bought him

Summer at the first barn I had him at

Now

Post your stories!

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
That's a fun idea for a thread! I love reading other people's stories. =D

Here's my girl Lacey's story:

My trainer had been wanting to get me a horse for a while because she knew that I didn't really mesh with any of her horses and she wanted to help me out by getting the horse herself and then letting me "adopt" it later on when I was able to.
She has lots of contacts and had about 5 people with around 3 horses each trying to GIVE these horses to her once she put out the word that she was looking. o_O
The ones that it came down to was a man with 5 Mustangs and a lady with Lacey and her best friend Danni. My trainer went to look at the Mustangs but decided to pass on them since they were super calm and really dead broke (and she knew that I wanted a horse with a little more fire) and could probably find homes really easily.

For some reason, she decided to take me with her when she went to see Lacey, maybe she knew that Lacey was THE ONE, I don't know. She was 3 hours late to pick me up and I was really worried that we weren't going to get to go look at horses so I was really bummed out, but then she showed up! We got to Lacey's old house (which was THE MOST beautiful horse property I have EVER seen) and Lacey's owner came out and was telling us about how Lacey wasn't going to go to anyone except for the perfect person.
I went out into Lacey's field, just to stand there, and she was kinda freaking out. She was trotting and trotting and trotting around the field (and coughing SO badly becuase she was so overweight that her fat was constricting her lungs). My first thought was "OMG, she's a unicorn!" and somehow I knew she was mine. Eventually she tired herself out so much that she gave up and came into to visit with me. I stood there petting her for a few minutes but it was kind of surreal, I don't really remember it so well. I remember petting her, and her running around but I don't remember much else.
I guess you could say it was truly love at first sight. I remember my trainer deciding to come pick Lacey up the next evening and it was set.

Only later did I find out that Lacey was about a week away from being put to sleep because of her "special" needs (that she needed an advanced rider and her age and her weight).

I felt (and still feel) really bad for her previous owner because Lacey was supposed to be that horse that the lady owned for the horse's whole life. She bred Lacey from her stallion and her mare and she truly had hoped to own Lacey for as long as Lacey lived. She was really broken up about having to part with Lacey and I can only imagine her feelings of loss after having Lacey around for 23 years, then not at all. She wouldn't have done it at all except that her husband was divorcing her and she couldn't have a horse anymore.

Lacey and I had a tough first year but now we're doing well. I just had to figure out what makes her tick and how to combine our two wishes for our lives.

But yeah, Lacey's my best friend and I really wouldn't trade her for the world. She exactly everything I would want in a horse: beautiful, full of personality, FAST, I always have something to work on with her, brilliant, trustworthy...I could go on forever. =)

And, ironically, when I was little I enjoyed picking out "my horse" from those horse breed books and I decided that I needed a flea bitten gray Arabian mare, no questions asked. Flea-bitten gray Arabian mares were my obsession for YEARS as a little kid. I moved on to other breeds but my first horse is (completely not on purpose) a flea-bitten gray Arabian mare. Heeheehee

·
Registered
339 Posts
I love these :) They always make me smile!

Honors' Story :

It was October of 2008 when I was only a novice/intermediate rider out at my barn. Middle a session with a new instructor. There was talk of three abused horses comming to the barn, and we were "calling" them as we always did. I instantly "called" the Thoroughbred, Hollywood. A few weeks later the trio came. I was only going out to the barn once a week for lessons so it was the second day he had been there. My friend Shelby took me out to see them and Hollywood was in the first field, I completley over looked him and we moved on to see the other two mares. She continued to tell me that she was going to work with Rainy, the younger of the two. I remember asking "wheres the gelding, thoroughbred". And she told me he was the first horse she had shown me. So we walked back to that field and I remember just watching him. He was so thin and fragile. He couldn't have lived much longer under the conditions he was living in. He was skin and bones with the lonely-est look in his eyes. I felt awful, and just leaned up against the gate gazing upon the horse. My heartstrings were pulled to the max and I hadn't paid this much attention to a horse before. The instructor pulled in and she started telling me about him, she also added that I would be riding him next week if he was good. That was the last lesson I've ever ridden another horse...
That first ride was AWFUL! I honestly had never ridden a horse so bumpy in my life. He was the most un-respectful, lazy, inconsistant horse ever. But there was still something there that made me love him so much. I continued to ride him and he became much better, and our bond became stronger. To shorten this up a bit, a month later, the last lesson before our winter break, the instructor asked me if I would like to try a "trial run" on the showteam. I was so happy! I said yes, and was so suprised. So I started show lessons and started preparing!

Show season came around and we did okay...halter was kind of a waste of time with his condition. He was impossible to put weight on. But equitation and pleasure went well!! He placed in pleasure in every show for some reason, I guess hes just pleasurable to watch! lol But anywho, weve been dq'ed from a halter class ( scary-est backflip out of a trailer, he had a fresh wound on his back leg :( ) and a pleasure class ( fairrer trimmed him too short) But we made it through show season. I leased him the whole summer and worked with him everyday, we were the perfect match.
Toward the last show, I decided to ride western one day. I checked and re-checked my cinch and it was tight before I got on. When I asked for a canter, the saddle slipped and one of my feet fell out of the stirrup, I leaned forward trying to compensate and the other fell out. And of course to OTTB lean forward means "take off" right? so I flew out of the saddle and the saddle completley turned. After that ride, I was giving him a bath and noticed a bump where the cinch had been. I called my instructor and she said it was only a bruise...well that whats we wish it would hav been. A few days later I got a phone call from my instructors sister, my other lesson instructor. They were worms (eww) and it took forever to heal. But that was the problem with his weight. As soon as they dewormed him, he started gaining weight like none other!! Okay comming down to the end of this...

I had been leasing him for two days a week for abut 3 months. When we got the call that he was going up for sale. I wasn't supposed to hear this call...but I did because my mom was sitting right next to me. She then told me he was a part of the family and we were going to buy him.. So about a month after that phone call we bought him and it was my dream come true. We had been through everything, and I loved this horse more than anything! We were partners in crime, so to speak. lol Okay theres my storry, sorry for being so long ...
Some Pix
Summer, pre weight gain....

winter...after weight gain...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I love reading everyone's stories.
Come on people POST!! haha

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I'll make mine short and sweet.

RICCI --
Her previous owner contacted me to work her horse and get her back into shape so she could be sold. I met her and worked with her a few times, and I HATED that horse, HATED HER! She was annoying, we just didn't click. But time passed and without realizing it happened, I was completely and 100% in love with this horse and bought her myself. Nothing traumatic in her life, she was well cared for, and continues to be pampered. I did buy her right out of high school, and many people think it was a mistake, but I simply couldn't breathe without her, Ricci is my heart and soul, and she's going to die in my arms.

GRACIE--
Pretty simple. A friend from work had an "accident" before she got her boy gelded, and a yearish later, out pops Gracie. We talked about her all the time at work, and I was toying with the idea of breeding Ricci or maybe getting a baby and by the time I decided I would take Gracie [she was 8 mos], my friend already had another co-worker coming out to look at her. At that point, I knew that whether I got her or not was the way it was meant to be. A week later, my friend said the other lady wouldn't work out, I went to meet her on a Thursday, and brought her home the next day. It was fate. =]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nothing dramatic happened when I got Andy. So, here goes...

Our vet, who has been helping us find a good first horse for me calls one day and said some one who works for him is trying to get rid of a horse. Of course i'm all for it and a few days later we go see him. It was love at first sight. Pretty white with looong mane and tail and pink nose. He also has that mischievous look in his eye. ;) So i try him out and he does great. We make plans for him to be dropped off at our place in a week and we all go home happy. thing is our fence isn't up yet so i go out every day and pound in 10+ t-posts every day. (My brother makes fun of my muscles that "mysteriously" popped up one day) heehee. Anyway he comes to his new home and settles in right away. The first few days we make a routine and now every morning he is waiting, complete with plenty of whinnies, ready for breakfast.

And we all lived happily ever after... :)

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
okay ill jsut do my jiggle lips girl and not Charlie because i talk about him ALL THE TIME...not all of em haha

Josie
We were actually looking for a new horse trailer at the New Hope Ranch. We ended up not liking the trailer but i didnt care. i was already at the stalls for the horses anyways. (go figure 11 yr old horse crazy girl goes for the horses??? what??? really?)
The first horse i saw was this BIG, FAT, but extremely beautiful sorrel mare, with a long mane and tail, and very very mischievous eyes....and we just stared at each other. and stared. and stared. My parents came over and the cowboy told us that she was a 10 yr old trail horse, originally bred in california and that she was....FOR SALE! HALELUJAH! i clambered over the panel and just started petting her and talking to her just totally head over heels in love.

Two days later we had our vet and my trainer come out and give the lookey-loo over her. they totally approved haha. so my parents gave the cowboy the check and we picked her up on our way to a schooling show in CO....p.s. she did amazing! i got her all cleaned up and even took her in the arena and she acted like an old pro....she definitely taught me sooooo much.
She was like my baby sitter. she took very good care of me in the show arena and would run her heart out for me in the rodeo arena. i could do anything on her....except trail riding....which is ironice because she was a trail horse to begin with haha
i have a picture of me and her at a clinic...im sleeping directly underneath her belly in her shadow while she dozes in the sun....it was a really boring clinic.

we difinitely had our rough times though. right towards the end of her riding career she started having major leg issues, would get really antsy in the arena, and got a really cranky bad attitude. but now i can just go home, jump on her bareback and play in the field or laze on her big squishy broad back and read a book haha
To end my rant ill just say thats shes definitely my heart horse.

First year we won highpoint together at county fair!

i think its her right after i retired her at 14? shes 20:shock: (holy cow shes 20 haha) now so yeah sounds about right

·
Registered
773 Posts
Our Herd

Shadow,
My mom bred her mare to a neighbor of ours stallion down the road. This was going to be her second colt. And when he came i was about 2 going on 3 years old at the time. Boy he was a cutie, my mom decided that this colt was to be for me when i got older. He was such a sweet horse, and he still is at 20 now. And one of the best trail horses i could ever ask for. And he's the spitting image of his mother, but a little shorter. Granted my great grandpap and grandpap were hard on him and used him to plow fields, he turned out to be one of the best horses i've ever owned. My husband even loves this horse. :wink:
Leroy,
He is my mom's mares third colt. My pap claimed him because he is out of a champion QH, and he wanted a top of the line cow horse. Well, my great uncle caused him to founder at 3, and pap said he was ruined and worth nothing. And so he was left out to pasture. I decided that he deserved better than that, i began training him in the summer, and by the end (though he had some hoof problems) he was able to be ridden. And i even worked him with the cows, and on occasion he does it himself.
Lunar Eclipse,
Since my geldings are getting up in age, i wanted a younger horse. And after everything that had happened after our wedding i wanted something to get me motivated to keep going again. I was browsing the net, and came across an ad for a 3yo paint mare, not to far from where we live. I called and asked about her, and i went to see her twice. She was somewhat wild, she reared when you lead her, she dug the floor when she had to stand still, and threw feed out of her bucket just for fun. And when turned loose was a real hoot to watch. The woman needed the room in her barn and was not up for breaking her. SO, i decided i wanted her, it was like i knew her from a past life or something, we just clicked, but i wasn't sure how i was going to get her. Here my husband knew i wanted this horse so desperately, and he bought her for me for Valentine's day, though she didn't come home till April. I was so excited and happy. I couldn't ask for a better gift, or horse. :)
Storm Chaser,
Stormy was born on our farm on a very miserable rainy day(what started out to be rain turned soon to snow/sleet) in March. He was stubborn, rude, disobedient, and loved to bite. Then after being in the barn for almost 4mos, he was turned out to pasture for the summer. Well at 6mos he got strangles, and it almost killed him. My father in law owned him and his mother, and decided that he was sick and put him up for sale. My husband fell in love with this little brat at the time, meanwhile i was giving him the care and meds that he needed, and decided that he was going to take him. Since we were footing the vet bill anyway. After almost a month he finally got better, and was getting back to his rotten ways. In September, his dad finally handed over ownership of him to us because he didn't want to pay the vet bill. He's turning out to be quite the willing partner, and a smart little horse after having such a rough start to life. Husband couldn'tve picked a better one. :wink:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I havent gotten him yet (going to see him, as he is for sale) but i thought i'd tell you my story.

My friend, who i first met by placing an add volunteering to work with horses, owns a horse stud. Lets call her Jan. Jan has a mare who i love and have bonded with, she is not for sale and said she wont sell her (i asked). I was told a while ago that she (hearthorse mare) had had one foal a few years back, a brown colt. I had no other information. All i knew is that she had lent the mare to another stud for them to have a foal out of. Well lastyear in december... I found that colt on Facebook, december last year. He was a '09 colt, is brown with two blue eyes and a wide blaze. Well i have been following his progress, and he has been for sale for a little while, and i have pounced on him now that the time is right. He is not mnie yet, but i am going to see him one weekend to discuss buying him. His owner's mother/breeder is VERY nice and i have a good feeling about them. He will also be reg when/if (hopefully) i get him.
I take no credit for the pictures :)
Soloman *not mine* the horse < those are him :D

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow this is old, but I got a like and it brought this thread back up so I figure I could post another picture of how Romeo is doing NOW!
We still have tough times, but it is better and we both know how each other work.
Don't feel worried about sharing your stories!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Marquis

I was hanging out on the Dreamhorse message forum and saw a picture of Marquis, I think in 2000, I fell in love with him immediately. I emailed his owner and we became friends. I collected all the pictures she posted of him and his babies and vowed that someday I would have an Arabian and when I did it would be one of his babies. In 2003 I started making payments on a yearling daughter of his but had to back out of the purchase when I was injured at work and out of work for a while. I laid low for a few years, hoping his owner wasn't mad at me for having to back out of buying the filly. In early 2006 I was thinking I would like to try to find a mare to either buy or lease to have bred to him for my Marquis baby. A mutual friend was sending her mare to Marquis' owner for boarding and so I asked them about arranging a breeding. We did so, I bought the baby before it was even bred for. The baby was born March/2007 and was the most perfect little thing, a carbon copy of her daddy except was going to grey out like her dam. I watched her grow up in pictures, drooling for the day I could bring her home. Not long before she was going to make the trip to me, Marquis' owner announced she was retiring from breeding and offering Marquis for sale. After the world quit spinning I got a hold of her, we talked and talked and talked and in the end I used the filly as a downpayment on him and brought him home in November of 2007!! He is everything I ever dreamed he would be. He's not riding sound but he's my best friend, my little "big bad stallion". I love him to death. He had been in a little barn and lot right behind our house that I was leasing but it was not in good condition and the owner wouldn't really let me do much with it so when a spot opened up on one of the big thoroughbred breeding farms for a teaser, I got him in there. He loves his job, gets lots of pretty mares to talk to and they treat him like a king so I'm happy even though he's 45 minutes away and I only get to see him a couple of times a week, I miss him terribly. We hope to get a farm of our own soon so we can bring all the horses home.

Kid

Kid was my brother in law's horse. He is an owner/trainer of thoroughbred racehorses and Kid was his only horse in training (he owns 3, Kid and his two brothers). He was going to race him but needed someone to come along and help out. I have lots of track experience and have missed working on the track so I said I would love to go along and help out. I went to the barn that morning and helped his groom get him ready to go, I fell in love with him right away, he's that same awesome combination of power, pride, exuberance but sweet, kind and (mostly) well mannered that Marquis is. Even as a 4yr old stallion in racing condition he was mostly a dream to handle, yet I could feel the fire of life in him. I went with my bil to help out with all of his races after that and, since he wasn't running well, he kept asking me if I wanted him. I did but my husband and I had made an agreement that we wouldn't get any more horses until we have our own property. He was starting to make waves about being not well financially, talking about finding some of the horses new homes, etc and my heart was breaking that Kid was, in my mind, the most likely to go first since he was good looking, well mannered, racing and starting to improve some, the others were an unstarted, unregistered 3yr old colt and a rank, injured 7yr old stallion. One night I came home from knitting and my wonderful husband told me he told his brother we would take Kid since he knew how much I loved him! In January, just 3 days after his last race, we sent him to the same farm Marquis is a teaser on to let down, get gelded and then moved him to a riding stable close to home just a few days ago. I love this horse SO MUCH. He is just so awesome and I can't wait to start riding him.

Angel

Angel is Kid's dam. My husband bought her as a 3yr old intending to race her, but life got in the way and she never even went into training. When she was9 he gave her to his brother to breed. Fast forward to Kid's story above, about 2 weeks after we brought Kid home we brought Angel home as well since my husband wanted to make sure she stayed in the family and was taken care of. After Kid got gelded we moved her over to the thoroughbred farm to be turned out with him, teach him some social skills before chucking him out into the herd of horses at the boarding stable. We moved her to the boarding stable as well and I'm going to put her into training, see if she wants to be ridden or if she would prefer to just be a pasture ornament. We are also considering breeding her to Marquis so I can finally have my Marquis baby (and it's a good cross with lots of merits, not just a "Hey we have a mare and a stallion, let's breed them!!" kind of thing) or maybe breed her to a thoroughbred stallion for our own racehorse prospect. We'll see what the next year brings, we decided not to do anything this year as she has a couple of minor issues that we'd like to get completely resolved before breeding if we even decide to (she's obese and her feet are in rough shape from not much attention in a while).

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is a great thread! Not too much exciting with my Gemmie.

I have been riding since I was 3, but stopped in highschool and college when I got into competitive kayaking. Long story short...marriage came and we bought 2 horses but when I decided to go to medical school we donated them to a handicap riding facility. Went to school and in my 3rd year needed stress relief and took up lessons. I realized how badly I missed it and needed it in my life and really needed more than just 1 day a week. So I started perusing the online sites. I was being pretty narrow in my searches and was not in a big rush knowing that it was bad timing with residency and a move looming in the near future. I only looked at photo ads, geldings and a black or grey horse with trail and jump training oh and had to be under 10 years old and over 16 hands.

How on earth I ended up calling and looking at a 15 h 12 yo bay arab mare with no picture on the ad I will never know. It just seemed to happen. Went and saw her and she nickered at me and that was it. She was skinny, her coat was dull and scraggly and she was wormy. Barely even rode her cuz her little pen was icy and there was nowhere else to go. Her owner was a nice but clueless 16 year old who had barell raced her the previous fall and then did nothing with her after the season and wanted to sell her to buy a car.

I rushed around and found the barn I wanted and had them deliver her. The first ride in the arena was horrible!! I was worried she was blind in her left eye because she would only go right and in small circles. We fought and argued. I thought many, many times of selling her and left the barn in tears. What had I done???

Well, 2 1/2 years later and she owns my heart. We jump, trail ride, do endurance, dabble in really crappy dressage, and just hang out. She isn't lovey dovey, but when I turn my back she does everything she can to get my attention again and then looks away like "huh, oh you are still here?" She had a million walls put up from being tossed around, but I have wriggled through most of them and I have her heart now too. She will be with me forever and I am very glad I kept with her.

Pics: 1st 2 are from the 1st day and then the first spring (2 months later). All other pics are from this year. She is amzaingly beautiful in my eyes and I while she is far from perfect I am too and we do well together in our own way.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
horse stories

I lost my beautiful TB, best friend and soulmate about 2 yrs. ago. Had her for 23. I was DONE with four legged family members! Especially since my gelding her pasture mate had to be euthanized 10 months later and in between my horses I lost my 4th and last dog. I still wanted to be AROUND horses though so I started volunteering at our Georgia Dept of Agriculture's Equine Impound. I was strong - horse after horse came through, we (volunteers) nursed them back to health and they went to auction. Yes they're were ones I could have loved and taken, as I said I was through. Then came Charlotte. PITIFUL! that's all I can say about her. Under 500lbs, rainrot, runny eyes scars everywhere you name it. But what a SWEET temperment & a lovely face. Fast forward I have now had her for 2 months. She weighs just about 900 lbs. & rainrot is gone. Vet estimates her age @ 15 yrs. She won't pick up her feet for me, we think has never been lunged & in all honesty is a "baby" mentally. Still not a mean bone in her body sweet, sweet, sweet. However, obviously NOTHING was ever expected of or done with her. So here I am in my "Golden Years" starting over with a 15y/o baby. Am I INSANE heck yes. Time will tell how we progress.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I've tried to forget most of 2010, but a couple things slipped through. Firstly, it was the hottest summer I could remember. My parents had recently separated; my mom began living with her jackass of a boyfriend days after this was announced. I was forced to stay with her for several days out of the week. Those days were more memories I blocked out. But I do recall laying on my back, staring up at the ceiling fan, and feeling an over realming pressure. Like I was being crushed and heated and transformed. I also recall feeling completely isolated and totally alone. Just me. Stuck in a situation that looks even bleaker in hindsight and kept getting worse.

Summer was still ablaze in September. Despite moving back in with my dad, the pressure didn't stop. My mom was in a dark place now and sinking deeper. I couldn't put my finger on this (I was a kid and didn't understand), but I knew. I could sense something foreboding. All I could concretely realize was that my mom was never there for me anymore. Sometimes she just wasn't present, but sometimes she was physically beside me but mentally gone. And I really needed somebody to be there and something to distract me.

So God sent me a horse and an adventure.

I was never suppose to ride Baby Girl. Thinking back, the chances are a little miracle. I was suppose to ride a 17-year-old TWH named Missy at the Heart of Dixie CTR, a NATRC sanctioned ride in Alabama. However, Missy got a girth rub and I was reassigned to Baby Girl last minute. I rode her on Wednesday for the first time. We left for Heart of Dixie on Thursday.

We completed a one day junior novice ride by the grace of God. We were held at the last P&R, failed all the obstacles, and lost conditioning points for everything. Our cards looked like someone had bled on them.

Baby Girl was only four at this time. She was green broke and hadn't been ridden in months. She didn't know how to lunge, stand still, canter, move off leg pressure, walk quietly... She didn't know much. I didn't either. Not anyone's dream team.

But I had found a horse and a purpose. My horse would be Baby Girl and I would be a great distance rider. That was what I needed more than anything in the world.

I kept riding that mare every weekend, and my dad bought me Baby Girl for Christmas of that year.

I am not talented. I'm not gifted, or any smarter or better than anyone else. Where I had excel is a sickening, insane work ethic. When I decided I was going to be a great distance rider, damned if I wasn't going to do everything I could to be what I knew I could be. So Baby Girl and I worked. We learned together that winter.

And we got good. We went to more NATRC rides during the 2011 season. We rode Novice and were undefeated. We were a focused, serious, competitive team. We ended that year with a collection of blue ribbons that I considered the physical manifestations of a year of hard work. And I was proud.

Home life was rough --Mom never answered my calls; she never visited-- , but barn life was the distraction I needed. I was a planner and a dreamer and a doer. It takes a lot of energy to be all those things! As long as I didn't have any spare time, I never felt that pressure I'd been running away from.

2011 ride reason ended. I kept working. I spent more time with Baby Girl than I did with anyone. We kept getting better. I got more focused. I set higher goals and planned to move into the Open division sometime during the next year. The year after, I wanted to go for a national championship.

About this time, my mom's boyfriend beat my mom. We took away her car and her phone. I didn't hear from her for weeks. She eventually dragged herself back to my dad's house and swore she was never going back.

When she went back to him, the pressure finally boiled over. I exploded. She was repeating the cycle and killing me. She was on drugs again. I told her to stay away from me until she made a choice. Him or me. Drugs or me. You can't have both. Afterwards, I cried into my horse's mane and thanked her for choosing me when no one else did.

That mare really saved me during those months. She was a beautiful distraction.

Mom eventually went to rehab and cut ties with the boyfriend. I didn't trust her. I didn't trust her. I trusted Baby Girl and made my choice. I was staying with my dad, but not because of my dad. Because of my horse. She had done more for me during those tough years than anything. She never left or lied and hurt me. What use to only be my distraction had become my rock and anchor.

And all that pressure... It turned us into diamonds.

So here we are now. We're half way through our second full year of NATRC. We've done several Open rides and things are looking good for that national championship next year. We're so young and so new and still have so much left to see and do. Sooo... That's where we are so far!

·
Registered
27 Posts
lovin all the cool stories! just bought my first horse like a few weeks ago. been easing him for a few years!! now hes finally all mine!!!!! (Keepin it short!)

Us at our most recent show! Did Good!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well I got my first horse when I was 11 he was a twh 16years old beautiful strawberry roan with a bald face. He was my aunts and she was moving so she couldn't keep m anymore. He was the horse I rode at her house for a few years. She kept him with her mare that was wild and no one could get near. I would ride bareback because my uncle didn't want to saddle him. I would ride him in the pasture with her in it and I would rub her face and she would fallow us around.

The day I got him was my uncle calling my mom and asking if we wanted him so we spent a few hours looking at stables to keep him at. That night we brought him to the stables. While we were there I met my best friend. That horse was stubborn and would make me work to get him to do stuff. I thought him the barrel pattern and poles and he was great I didn't really know what I was doing and we were placing against the younger and had professional training.

We moved him to my friends stable and we threw him in an English saddle and started to jump him and run around at their place. The. Moved him Again to another friends place where I got my quarter horse and when I broke my arm from my quarter horse broncing me off. I couldn't ride them and I noticed saddle marks and that my horses were acting cranky plus I don't use saddles in the winter. My twh started to get really mad and started to 'act up' and injured himself because the owner had put him in his own pasture in the back. So my aunt took him back and to her sisters he pasted a few months later.

My quarter horse was for my mother so we could ride together and I rode him for a while while she rode my twh and he bucked me off twice on calm days with no reason to do it. I wanted to sell him a few times but for some reason I kept him. 7 years later we are still together and still riding. Even a after his injury that keeps him from doing a lot of stuff we still learn things together. He was my go to horse for a long time but after I lost my TB and my mom lost her clyd/tb cross a few months later I found my paint and they got close. We had some hard times and I sent him to the trainers and now we connect and work well together he's my new go to guy to ride and he wants to be with me and will fallow me around and he's so pretty!

My new guys my friend from college was looking at new horses and someone said he was for sale and thought for me because he is 17hh and paint coat. And I tried him out and fell in love now two months later after he was distant and didn't want to be with us now wants to be close and loves to be with us.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shockie came into my life by chance, my family had been looking for another horse and not having any luck. When a friend of a friend herd we wanted another horse they got a hold of us, they had a 10 year old registered Morgan gelding. They had claimed he had foundered and couldn't be ridden hard, they said we could have him since he was no longer usable to them.
Unfortunately Shockie was not a kid horse, he was all about the go and no whoa, he was fast and big and I was intimidated by him. I stuck to riding my mom's mare. After about a year of owning Shockie we sent him to a ranch, and I built my confidence on the mare (who would buck every time you asked her to canter) I learned to stay on and control her.
After 8 months away Shockie was comming home. I went with my parents to go pick him up, and what I saw when we got there brought tears to my eyes. He was tied to a stock trailer, covered in mud and so very skinny, the horse I once was afraid of was gone. The big bright eyes that once made a statement of power, now where dull and sunken in. Tears streamed down my face as I walked up to him, talking softly to him I told him he was safe.
Pulling out of the driveway, I looked at my dad and said, Shockie is mine now. He agreed that he could be all mine as long as I took care of him.
I spent all my time with Shockie just hanging out with him, talking to him and telling him all the things we where going to do once he gained his weight back.
I started riding him, and he was once again the big powerful horse, but this time I wasn't afraid. I rode him everywhere with thousands of miles of blm land our adventures where endless. He would take me anywhere I pointed him, up and down the big hills, down the narrow deer trails, over logs, through ditches he aimed to please. If I would go a little to far and was uncertain of how to get home, I would loosen the reins and Shockie would go towards home. He kept me safe no matter what situation I put us in.
When I turned 18 (Shockie also being 18) I had to make a very hard decision and sell him, I had no money and no job and my parents wouldn't pay the feed bill anymore. A horse dealer was the only person who was interested, and he promised he would find Shockie a good home. I cried for days and the look Shockie gave me as the trailer door was being closed still haunts me to this day.
my life went on, I bought a truck with the money and got a job moved out met my husband and had a child. Shockie was always in the back of my mind. I put an add up on craigslist with his picture, the third time of posting it was the charm, a lady who was in charge of horses for a kids summer camp contacted me she said Shockie was there but he was going by the name of Joe and if I wanted to come see him I could. I was thrilled he was safe and happy. It had been a little over 3 years since I had seen him, I had this picture in my mind of how he would run to me once he saw me like in all the movies, well it was the opposite he ran from us he had become hard to catch. Once we caught him she said I could ride him if I wanted, it was such a cool feeling to be tacking him up for a ride. I was trotting around the arena lost in my own world, imagining we where elsewhere. When we where done I was asked if he was what I remembered him to be, of course I answered back. She then told me that Shockie was not working out to be a very good kids camp horse and if I wanted him back I could have him. Tears of joy flooded my face, I hugged shockie and told him I would be back in a few days to get him.
I've had Shockie back now for about 6 years he is now 27 years old he will stay with me until the end. He has been semi retired for the past few years, not because he's not capable of being ridden I just figured I would let him live out the rest of his years as a pasture puff. He seems fine with that, but occasionally when I'm working the other horse he gives me that look of, I want to go to. That's when I hop on him bareback with just a string around his neck and let him take me for a ride..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
We heard about V from a racehorse trainer who was trying to sell him. He never raced, and he wasn't much of a competitor in anything else (they tried to train him for eventing, which I'm sure would have been hilarious to watch).

Sooo my mom and I went to see him just for the heck of it, even though I knew I wasn't going to want a Thoroughbred. I was 13 at the time and thought Thoroughbreds were too fancy and high strung. Well, I took one look at the sleek, handsome bay gelding with the gentle eyes, and I was sold.

Boy did I regret it. That horse put me through hell and almost killed me a few times. Ironically, some of my best childhood memories are with him as well. It's been almost a decade and he still melts my heart. :wink:

He's the picture of innocence, isn't he? He sure had me fooled.

Reactions: MyJumper

·
Registered
484 Posts
Liking all the stories :) Now I've had horses before as a child, but none that I could call 'mine', but last year I finally had a job where I could afford a horse again and well...let's just say horses are like Lay's potato chips XD lol.

Apollo
Last year I decided after really thinking hard that I wanted to own my first horse, like actually own it with my own money; not have my mom or grandparents buy one for me like earlier years and not having much say in what they bought. So I went out with the intent of getting a gelding, most likely a thoroughbred as they were really cheap at the time (and everywhere on kijiji). I didn't want any older than 15, but not young young, I was thinking something for trail riding as where I was going to board the woman liked to go on trails alot. Anyways, I went around and looked at a dapple gray draft/draft cross gelding. He was quiet, told to be broke to ride and drive. I looked at him, lead him out of the feild, picked up all his feet (I wanted to make sure I could as his feet were huge!). Now I probably should have gone with him as he was exactly what I was looking for. But I didn't feel he was just right. So I moved on.
And I'm glad I did, as the woman I was going to board with took me to see a few young horses (two to be exact, but I didn't know that til I got there). What I didn't know was they were both four years old, or about to turn four and green broke... Well the woman showed me the first one, and that was Apollo. He looked so adorable with his head too big and his long donkey ears. He was this 14HH chestnut overo APHA gelding with a marble-y blue eye. I took my first ride on him and I liked him. Next the lady took me to a feild and showed me this nearly 16HH chestnut breed stock APHA gelding named Ray. She told me that he had hurt his leg in the field and and was very straight foreward about it with me, but she told me he was the more laid back of the two. Well I felt set on Apollo, especially after the first ride and the way he nuzzled at me and acted like a big puppy dog. Well the price tag scared the **** out of me, so we left. I couldn't afford him. That night I talked with my mom and she knew how badly I wanted him so she suggested asking the woman if I could do payments. Well long story short :p I bought Apollo. He's five now and he's grown into his head, .2HH higher, but his ears are still donkey long lol. He's actually for sale now, by no fault of his own really. I just came to the realization that at the moment I'm not ready for what he has the potential to do. I don't want to hold him back, so I'm letting him go. He wants to run, I'm not ready to run.

Rosie
I never planned on buying Rosie, it just sort of happened. By this time I decided I was going to stay with the woman I bought Apollo off of as she was helping me with him as yes I rode for years on school horses and older horses, but never a green horse. At the time she was selling a few horses so I had my mom come out with the camera and we were going to take pictures out to a few people we knew to help her out. She had brought Rosie out and as my mom took pictures and I watched her I couldn't help but to think, d*mn she looks so much like Ara (my second horse from my childhood). Even her sassy mannerisms were like Ara's. Now, while Ara was a purebred Arabian, Rosie was a registered quarter horse. While I kept thinking how much she was like my older horse, markings and all, I kept telling myself, no. For one she was a mare and I told myself no more mares as all the mares I had had attitudes when in heat and I didn't want to deal with that again. Second, she was a brown. All I'd ever had before were bays and browns and again I told myself, no more browns and bays. I guess I didn't listen to myself :p as I now she's mine XD. Best mare I've ever ridden. She doesn't act marish at all, no squating on the trail when there's a gelding behind her on the trail and she's amazing with kids.

Azula
So this one was another 'how did this happen?' moment. I had decided I wanted to breed Rosie last year, this year, for a 2015 baby. I wanted another paint, but a black and white. Well I had the stud picked out, homozygous for black and tobiano, and I was fully prepared to go through with it. But a mare who had a foal, out of the same stud that was a sire to Apollo, by her side and I saw she was everything I wanted (except not a colt; i wanted a gelding), I threw away the breeding ideas and got her. The barn owners are helping me with her and I've learned quite a bit. Now Azula's a year old and we'll be working on trailering soon as we found out she's learned from her dam that trailers are scary and won't step up XD. But besides that she's perfect :p.

Now there's another filly, a 2 year old registered quarter horse, but I haven't bought her yet :p, but I was talking with the barn owner one day and was like, "I have a real estrogen project going on here." And it's true :p I went from no mares to having 2 (3 soon). :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.