The Horse Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Stowaway bag to fit on English style saddles (the exact saddle I use each time switches round as I am sometimes put on different horses but they are all English, mostly GP). So I am going to be looking at either the Stowaway English cantle bag or the pommel bag (regular version or deluxe). Mainly I would like to be able to carry some water, sunscreen, a small first aid kit, a light extra layer to wear, and a more substantial snack (than a snack bar). I wear a cycling top with pockets on the back that I can put my phone, lip balm, and a snack bar in. The trail rides I go on are about 3–5 h. So not super long but enough that I would like to have some water and the extras for just in case situations. At this stage, I don't need to carry anything for the horse because someone else has that responsibility for the group.

I have done a forum search and read through lots of old threads and understand that its a bit of a personal preference as to liking the cantle or pommel bag, based on where people like to have their stuff. I am probably not going to be getting my water bottle out any time at a trot as I still need to focus too much on the actual riding, so I don't think the cantle access would be an issue for me. I am not sure if I would have issues mounting from the ground when out on the trail if the cantle bag is there, but I could probably figure out how to not kick it.

Does anyone have the regular version of the pommel bag, and could you fit a water bottle in one of the zip pockets? The deluxe looks nice but it also looks big with the added water bottle holders on each side, and I worry I won't be able to find a way to attach it without it annoying me or the horse. Those that have the deluxe and an English style saddle, have you found a way to attach it that it does not bother you or the horse?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts