The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not possible for a horse to burp, but that's what it resembles most closely.

My mare is in her mid to late 30's and still going strong. She's at a good weight and looks (and feels) great. In the last year or so, I've noticed Liz doing something odd.

It sounds like a groan that moves from her barrel up and ends in her mouth. It seems uncomfortable, she gets tense and lifts her head when it happens. If I'm on her, I can feel a rumble start a little behind where I sit (bareback) and move up. When it stops at her mouth, there's a mild but foul smell. It seems to happen only after exercise, when we're cooling out or she's back on crossties after we're finished. It doesn't happen every time she gets exercised, probably just 1 out of every 5 riding/lunging sessions.

Is this some sort of acid reflux thing? Liz is on a digestive supplement (Ultra-Elite Digest - Horse Digestive Supplements from SmartPak Equine) which keeps her completely diarrhea free, which had been a problem before.

Any ideas?

And here's a picture of the old lady, just because I love showing her off :) 2013-01-14 15.09.38.jpg

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
Sorry, I haven't a clue what it is but she is a regal old gal, isn't she?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I haven't a clue what it is but she is a regal old gal, isn't she?
That she is! At some point, I've got to get a video of us riding- she's unbelievably hyper! This problem doesn't really worry me that much because it isn't an everyday occurrence, I'm more curious about it than anything else!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thats so strange, Ive never heard of something like that, the only thing Ive ever heard of that was close to that is when a horse had colic and its stomach ruptured and you could smell it coming through its mouth. You should take a video of her doing it, Im curious to see.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Call equine vet, as sounds like air is getting sucked in when she is eating possibly?

Or could be her way of trying to readjust a painful part of her body.

But I wouldn't be riding her.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
People say horses dont burp but i beg to differ-- i rode a black dun two eyed jack mare that was a bit older (16 -not as old as your gal) she would belch loudly and was perfectly sound- my 12 year old joker b mare would also burp sometimes.. they were both very healthy horses with no digestive problems.

I would still ask a vet about it just to make sure though.. im also pretty curious myself.. i dont understand why they cant burp- they cant throwup or breathe out of their nose- but i think they can actually burp, lol. Im not a vet though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats so strange, Ive never heard of something like that, the only thing Ive ever heard of that was close to that is when a horse had colic and its stomach ruptured and you could smell it coming through its mouth. You should take a video of her doing it, Im curious to see.
Posted via Mobile Device
She definitely hasn't had colic in a long time. She colicked about 4 years ago. It's definitely not a rupture! It's too hot to exercise her for the next few days, but the next time I ride her, I'll get the camera out to see if she does it. Of course, once I try to get a video of it, it'll never happen again :lol:

Call equine vet, as sounds like air is getting sucked in when she is eating possibly?

Or could be her way of trying to readjust a painful part of her body.

But I wouldn't be riding her.
It doesn't happen after eating, just occasionally after exercise. And she certainly doesn't eat fast... she takes her sweet time! What do you mean by "readjusting a painful part of her body"?

This horse would be miserable without riding. She's extremely energetic and needs a job. Last year, I didn't ride her for 2 months when we were having issues with her weight and she got very depressed. She also needs consistent exercise to keep from getting stiff.

Because this doesn't happen regularly and just seems to cause a brief moment of discomfort (similar to a human feeling after a burp), I don't feel the need to stop riding her.

People say horses dont burp but i beg to differ-- i rode a black dun two eyed jack mare that was a bit older (16 -not as old as your gal) she would belch loudly and was perfectly sound- my 12 year old joker b mare would also burp sometimes.. they were both very healthy horses with no digestive problems.

I would still ask a vet about it just to make sure though.. im also pretty curious myself.. i dont understand why they cant burp- they cant throwup or breathe out of their nose- but i think they can actually burp, lol. Im not a vet though.
Huh, that's strange! Now that I think about it, this same type of thing seems to happen with a pony I work with, although not as often as Liz does it.

I have a friend who's a vet tech and works with Lizzie's vet, so I'll ask her when I see her this weekend.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I agree with toto. My horse has definitely burped. He usually does it if he has been on the grass all day. I wish I had video. Some of them are huge and very very smelly lol

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Horses CANNOT burp, vomit or breathe through their mouths. Their digestive tract is a one way street. If horses could burp there would be a whole lot less cases of colic.

The cardiac sphincter between the horses oesophagus and his stomach is very strong. If anything it was air trapped in the esophagus, so not a true burp.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts

Horses can't breath through their noses? Huh? This is new to me :shock:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Horses CANNOT burp, vomit or breathe through their mouths. Their digestive tract is a one way street. If horses could burp there would be a whole lot less cases of colic.

The cardiac sphincter between the horses oesophagus and his stomach is very strong. If anything it was air trapped in the esophagus, so not a true burp.
Which is why I asked the question :D

If it is air trapped in the esophagus, why can I feel it start in her barrel area?

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Which is why I asked the question :D

If it is air trapped in the esophagus, why can I feel it start in her barrel area?
What you feel and where it is can be so ambiguous it's almost impossible to say why. She may be contracting her barrel to push it out. It's like lameness, looks like its in one leg and it can turn out to not be in the leg at all:wink:

·
Banned
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like Wind Sucking but usually they latch on to something when they do this - she looks like a fine old gal, I wouldn't worry if she is happy in herself :)
Definitely not windsucking, I know horses who do that. It's a mystery! By the way, my non-horsey mom and I adore Zephyr's blog! He's so handsome (and hysterical)! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A horse could only burp is the valve on the stomach is 'lose', like a hiatus hernia of types.
Would that have any other symptoms? This is the only weird thing she does. Nothing physical comes out of her mouth, just a little bit of a smell.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Horses can't breath through their noses? Huh? This is new to me :shock:
Me. too.
How are they breathing then when their mouth is closed??:wink:
I'm pretty sure mine aren't breathing through their mouths.
Would make eating rough wouldn't it?

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Me. too.
How are they breathing then when their mouth is closed??:wink:
I'm pretty sure mine aren't breathing through their mouths.
Would make eating rough wouldn't it?
Through their gills, silly! :lol:

No they can eat under water! :shock:

Reactions: acorn
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.