The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend found an older horse horse is dead broke she is interested in for her grand kids to ride. She had me go with her to look at him and we noticed he has a strange neck and no body knows the cause of it.

He is a 23 year old gaited gelding. We believe he is a TWH. He was starved and was rescued in April. The lady who surrendered him had him for two years and was told that horses can live off of just straw so he never got enough nutrition. He was a body score of 1, so was pretty bad. Anyone know the cause for this? Could it just be from starvation or age?

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
Looks like an old fatty crest. He may be IR, EMS, Cushings, etc. Poor guy looks pretty rough. I'd recommend bloodwork, but with proper care and nutrition, he should be fine....presuming there is not past history of founder and he does not have a severely advanced case of Cushings (though judging by his coat, I have no reason to suspect that). He also may have been obese earlier in life.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like an old fatty crest. He may be IR, EMS, Cushings, etc. Poor guy looks pretty rough. I'd recommend bloodwork, but with proper care and nutrition, he should be fine....presuming there is not past history of founder and he does not have a severely advanced case of Cushings (though judging by his coat, I have no reason to suspect that). He also may have been obese earlier in life.
When he was surrened he had extremely long, thick hair and it was suspected that he could have cushings but then he shedded out, almost to the point he was bald and regrew normal summer hair. I looked at his hooves and they had some rings but it was most likely from a diet change because the soles and everything were normal. No serious signs of founder. Another friend of mine thought it could of been from being obese in his earlier years as well.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with what Bubba said. I also wanted to add that he looks like a sweet old guy that would love to have a friend, or in this case, a couple of kids to fawn over him and spoil him rotten.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
A shetland I had purchased was wearing her winter coat in early August. He previous owner had never dewormed her because she was the typical chunky Shetland. She was dewormed twice and soon after the shedding began. The next year her coat was slick and full of dapples.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a real sweetie and I rode him for the first time since he had been surrendered. He is such a pokey old guy and really enjoyed being ridden. He kept his ears forward the whole time and just had such a pleasent, happy expression. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a lot of decent training in his earlier years. He was just such a wise, smart ol' guy. He really is a diamond in the rough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.