The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
One that always weirds non-horsepeople out is when you tell them that horses can't throw up.

Their esophagus isn't designed for it, which is why when they ingest something not good for them, it's a really BAD thing since they can't sick it back up.

They can't burp either, which means excess gas can turn into colic.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
the average horse can jump over 6 feet from a standstill !

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
the average horse can jump over 6 feet from a standstill !
I'm afraid that I have a really hard time believing that one. The record for the Puissance is 7'7". Jumping over 7' is considered exceptional - and that is on a well trained/conditioned horse.

·
Registered
112 Posts
-Horses can't breath through their mouth
- the Arabian has 17 ribs instead of 18 like most horses.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
There are approximately 75,000,000 horses in the world!

The intestines of a full grown horse are 89 feet long on average!

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
The chestnuts and ergots are the remnants of the other toes the horse had in primitive times, grown up the leg.

I always thought that was cool, lol.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Registered thoroughbreds can only have 18 characters in their names (including spaces).

A horse heart weighs 10 pounds.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
A newborn foals legs are already 80 to 90% of the length they will be when full grown.

Horses like classical music.

The oldest horse was named Old Billy. He was a cross breed, he was born in 1760 and lived to 62.

The oldest pony ever recorded was named Teddy E. Bear. He lived to be 55 and was owned by Kathy Pennington of Virginia Beach, VA. He was still alive in 1998.

The World's Largest Horse was a purebred Belgian stallion named Brooklyn Supreme. He stood 19.2hh (6'6") at his withers. He weighed over 3,200 pounds and is entered in the Guiness Book of World Records. He was foaled in 1928 and died in 1948. He lived in Iowa, USA. (I'm not sure about this one as the stats are always changing and no one can seem to find out who the REAL tallest horse is)

Oldest winning thoroughbred racehorses:
The 18-year-olds - Revenge, at Shrewsbury, England 1790; Marksman, at Ashford, Kent, England, 1826; and Jorrocks, at Bathurst, Australia, 1851.
Also at 18yrs old; Wild Aster won three hurdle races in 1919, and Sonny Somers won two steeplechases in February 1980.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
The World's Tallest Jump:
Huaso, the horse, and his rider Captain Alberton Larraguibel Morales, jumping the world-record breaking jump of 8 feet 1 1/4inches, or 2.47 meters. The red marks the top of the jump.
http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/images_info/worldrecord_jump2.jpg

This horse was a Thoroughbred born in Chile, and originally called "Faithful". He was a racehorse and retired from racing in 1944 to begin training in the Chilean Cavalry School. There he was taught dressage and jumping. His training was overseen by Chilean Cavalry Officer Major RAFAEL MONTTI, who was in charge of several other horses at the time and hoped to train one that could beat the current world record, set by Captain Antonio Gutierrez of the Italian Cavalry on an Irish horse named Osoppo.
After setting the record, (he was 16 years old when he jumped) Huaso was retired and never ridden again. He died of natural causes at the ripe age of 29.
Vid made from stills:
http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/images_info/worldrecordjump.gif

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
^^^ my goodness, you would think his legs would snap!
Very impressive

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I'm afraid that I have a really hard time believing that one. The record for the Puissance is 7'7". Jumping over 7' is considered exceptional - and that is on a well trained/conditioned horse.
im talking about with out a rider

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
im talking about with out a rider
Still having trouble believing that. I'm not saying that it isn't true, I've just never seen that fact anywhere.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The only US army survivor of Custer's last stand was a horse named Comanche. Contrary to popular belief he was not Custer's horse. He was found on the battle field and had many arrow wounds. He fully recovered and was retired from service, only brought out for parades and that sort of thing. He lived to the ripe old age of 29.

·
Registered
673 Posts
WOW that jump is crazy! I love that someone made a video from the stills, that's incredible to watch.

I admit I was so excited about crazy horse facts, I did a search. Here's some of neat ones.

To get an official measurement of a horses height, they must be measured without shoes.

You can tell if a horse is cold by feeling behind their ears. If that area is cold, so is the horse.

A small indent in a horses skin (usually on the neck or shoulder) is called a prophet’s mark and is considered good luck.

Horses have 7 common blood types.

When cantering, a horse takes a breath with every stride.

·
Registered
744 Posts
A small indent in a horses skin (usually on the neck or shoulder) is called a prophet’s mark and is considered good luck.

HAHA I guess I have a couple of really lucky horses. We always thought those spots were pretty odd.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.