The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it terribly uncommon for geldings to mount mares? My mare is in heat and was mounted by my grandma's gelding. I just turned them out and it happened.

I mean, i hope a gelding mounting a mare isn't a surefire sign of a proud cut or something. This horse doesn't act studdy at all except for now.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
It's not common but it's not that uncommon either:)

A good friend once had a gelding who did that repeatedly ---- to everyone's annoyance and embarrassment.

I have a gelding who probably would, if he were pastured with a mare.

Thankfully, Neither of these horses ever bothered mares while being ridden:)

Reactions: AnitaAnne and Knave

·
Registered
Dreama - rescue from the local dog pound. Some type of gaited horse mix of unknown history.
430 Posts
I've never seen him try to mount a mare, but the gelding that belongs to the couple I board with certainly acts a fool when one of the mares (especially mine for some reason) goes into heat. He will pace and call and act all studly, and I am positive he's not proud cut.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I've seen it at least twice where we board, this year. Both times were in the spring, probably in that "first heat" time, FWIW.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was out at the barn yesterday to discover my mare is in heat and the gelding that is obsessed with her all of the time (a beautiful sorrel 17 (ish) HH hanoverian X gelding) was even more obsessed. He is in the arena and was pacing and calling out and trotting around all like "hey girl, look at me!" He has been pastured with a mare for months so I'm sure he's not proud cut or he'd have bred her already, but he just really likes PopTart.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Proud cut doesn't mean capable of breeding @therhondamarie. I have heard two different opinions on it. My grandfather explains that if a person leaves in the button behind the testicle that a horse becomes "proud cut." Now, if you have seen a horse cut before there is a round piece behind the testicle that he is referring to as the "button." He said that for a while many trainers were leaving the buttons in an effort to make a horse more... hmm I'm not sure what word to use.... expressive in competition. This makes sense to me. I have a horse called Bones who is very "proud." He flaunts as a stud around mares, always ready and willing to mount a horsing mare, and making quite the show of himself. The mares love him as well, and he can draw most anything into heat.

Now, people do not believe he is simply "proud," but most assume he is a cryptorchid. Likely they assume this by seeing how mares react to him. This would mean he has an undecended testicle. Since I was not his owner at the time of his castration, this is not a thing I can attest to or not. My vet said she is almost certain of this, but I did not pay for the testing. Crypts also are unable to breed due to the temperature of the testicle inside the abdomen rather than in the standard position.

That said, this vet also does not agree that leaving in the buttons on a horse creates the studdy behavior. It is harder for me to leave behind the beliefs I have been taught by the old generation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was using it in the cryptorchid sense I suppose. Although I had a cryptorchid horse that I had gelded and later he bred two mares in the pasture after I had sold him. I received a call when babies dropped, so apparently that leftover testicle was still producing. Crazy thing about that guy was he never ever acted like a stud. In fact, he appeared to have zero interest in anything other than feed.

I guess that gelding at my barn could be proud cut in the way you described @Knave. I honestly have little experience with owning geldings myself as I've only had maybe 2 in my lifetime among all the many mares.

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
Testosterone is produced in the testicles as are the sperm. Sperm go from the testicle to the epididymis for maturation and storage. The epididymis is directly connected to the testicle and is basically intregral because of the musclature and the tail would appear somewhat button like; the vas defrens connects to the other end of the epididymis which is what transfers the sperm and fluids to the urtertha for exiting the body. When you castrate you cut through the vas defrens removing both the epididymis and testicle. There should be no separation. Technically no such beast as a proud cut but like Knave says tradition dies hard. Cryptorchids can and do produce foals. It just depends on where the testicle is located. In the abdomen and the heat is too much. In the canal or one that plays hide and seek - dropping just outside only to be sucked back up on inspection and there is a chance sperm can survive. the you have those that have a significantly larger and smaller where the smaller sits on top and is close to the body or just to the inside of the cavity. Without close inspection you would assume he is cryptorchid.

The adrenal glands produce a small amount of testosterone and other androgens that along with exposure in utero determines the "studliness" is what research is now showing. I certainly believe that as I have a gelding that was gelded really early (4ish months) and I watched everything removed. My first experience watching someone essentially use a power drill to twist the vas deferens to the breaking point sealing it with the number of twists. He acts more stud like and actively maintains a herd better than my stallion does.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Sarge was absolutely truly gelded, but he didn't know it. If he wasn't, we'd have his foals all over the place. He never met a mare he didn't immediately swoon over and try to romance, and never met a female of ANY age he didn't immediately consider his responsibility to herd, and he never met another gelding he didn't consider a rival for his mares' affections. He was a massive PITA about it... never tried to mount when we were out and about just riding (He absolutely WOULD mount up in the pasture), but he'd try to herd other people's mares and challenge other people's geldings with you in the saddle. Sheesh. Bruh. You're firing blanks. Knock it off already.

Reactions: Knave
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.