The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

does anybody know of any very successfully-competing blind-in-one-eye (or blind - !) horses in this arena? and if so, any way to contact rider/owner?

Endurance is my sport :)

thanks!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I have one horse with vision damage in one eye. He is riding well at the moment. I can't say how long this may last, as he could eventually go blind in both eyes. But for now, he is doing okay. It is an addition risk if he should hit a tree or spook and not see a tree. Many one-eyed horses do well though and adapt to their disability. Riding at night would be more dangerous as both horse and rider will be visually impaired. You are probably fine for endurance riding in the day, just have to be extra careful about roots and obstacles your horse might not see.

I would want to know why the horse lost the eye, as uveitis can jump eyes and you may end up with a horse that goes blind.

·
Super Moderator
14,994 Posts
There was a racehorse who was scheduled to race one of the Triple Crown races this year but scratched...I don't remember for what at the gate.
Patch ran the Kentucky Derby 2017
Tornesch was a Olympic caliber show jumper...
Santana was a dressage horse of Olympic caliber and winning ways.
There is a large list of horses who made famous their name who were one-eyed.

There are several old threads here about one-eyed horses...this is just one of those threads that might offer what you were asking about...https://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/one-eyed-horses-550018/
Some of the members who participated may not be active members anymore, but information is information.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
My barrel horse is blind in his left eye but you would never know; And when we compete he makes one right and two left turns. We have won a decent amount of money, buckles, and a saddle so I would say he's fairly successful haha. I also have an older QH that has various degrees of vision loss in both of his eyes.

It's not endurance but feel free to message me if you'd like, I've been dealing with this for years haha

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
look up Endo the Blind. He is an amazing horse. We owned a mare that progressively went blind in one eye (due to an injury) we rode her for many years on trails - you would never have known she was blind on that side until she was quite a bit older and became a little more cautious on her blind side.

It really has to do with training and how well that horse trusts its rider. A well trained horse is a well trained horse.

I will add that my daughter rode a wonderful little fox trotter mare - she became ill in January 2018 when the vet came out to treat her she asked us how long she had been blind. We never knew - this mare had a large tumor on her eyelid (she was a grey with a melanoma) that caused sight issues in that eye but we assumed the other eye was good. Well the vet said she had a huge cataract in her "good" eye - the eye was not cloudy so we never noticed. She had become a little hesitant loading and unloading but we assumed that at 22 she was mildly arthritic so that was the issue. Her illness progressed and she ended up at an equine hospital where they removed that tumor from her eyelid (something our local vet and Vet school said could not be done) and she was able to see the last couple of weeks of her life. She was PTS due to liver failure from a tick borne disease.

So long story short - blind horses can be great. We miss Gracie (the mare above) and she never let on that she could not see and she took great care of my daughter up and down steep ravines, over logs etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. I should have said it's for a story I'm working on.
I might get back to some of you! And oh yea, I remember something about that 3yo racehorse this year.
I'll check out that link and Endo the Blind.
thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts