Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just noticed this evening that one of my mares has gone a little head shy. I touched the top of her head/base of her ears this evening for a fuss and she went all head shy (like what horses known to be head shy do - move head higher, shake it Etc).

She's never been head shy, although doesn't always like you playing with her ears (but has never reacted like that)

I was quite taken aback, as she's really mellow usually and lets me touch her everywhere, and I've had plastic bags up there before, no problems.

Why has she suddenly gone like this (this was the first time I've noticed it)
I don't think it could be mites, as it's very cold. Do you guys think her ears are just a bit sensitive because of the very cold weather?

I did five minutes of desensitising her to it - only taking away my hand when she started accepting it again, just in case this becomes a regular thing - which I don't want it to hehe.

She's never been like this before and to my knowledge, I haven't caused any reason for her to be head shy (although there are other people liverying there, so I don't know if one of them has done something to her without me knowing :? )

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Did you inspect the area at all - with it being a sudden thing it may be that she has some tenderness there and is avoiding contact because of that (ie she may have an injury, bruising, swelling, etc)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not properly, as it was pitch black (I sort them before and after work, so no lights after work!) The area didn't feel hot or swollen, but I didn't have a really good look, I will have a look tomorrow hopefully before work.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I had a look this morning, and nothing is obvious. She wasn't as bad today, but still noticeably touchy when I went to have a feel up there. I might leave it until it's a little warmer, in case it's just sensitive ears due to the cold (unless it gets any worse, in which case I'll call the vet out)

She isn't head shaking/looking irritated unless I touch her ears. I'm going to monitor her closely and if she gets any worse, then I'll have the vet out ASAP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.