The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

my gelding, for whatever reason, always has short stubby hairs towards the bottoms of his mane. His tail is beautiful, the top part of his mane isn't bad, but the short, patchy spots towards his whithers are driving me crazy. Any advice? Products to put on his mane?

I do usually leave him with his fly sheet on, not sure if that's making his mane worse or keeping him from rubbing and taking more off.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bet his fly sheet is rubbing his mane off.
Also, do you ride? Saddle blankets tend to rub off the lower mane as well.

My guy has the same problem. But his saddle blanket causes it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
oooh I didn't think of the saddle pad. What do you do to avoid it?
It depends on your saddle pad. Always pull up on your pad in the withers area (so it doesn't touch their withers). If you haven't "broken in" your saddle pad yet it doesn't like to bend.
It's much easier to do with an English pad. Western pads are such a pain to break in. I'm not sure which you ride.
You could also buy a cut back wither pad.

As for the fly sheet rubbing, there's not much you can do.

I've just learned to live with it. :D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well if I saddle up and the mane is under the pad, I get the cinch tight and everything, get on and first thing I do is pull all of the hair out and let it stick out and forward. It makes me think of having a pony tail too tight and one little hair pulling somewhere - at least that's how I think they must feel...

But if it ISN'T the pad, then I'd check VERY closely for an abscess or something that might give you the impression of a large mosquito bite right down on the bare skin where the mane grows. You'll be looking for a cuterebra larva buried in there. My pony had one - rubbed his lower mane out because he itched. I stood on a stool (he is a taller pony - LOL) and looked down, and found a squishy raised spot in the skin. POpped it like a pimple, and out comes a larvae.

Tis the season for bots right now!!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
all that aside, if you have a slinky then i would try that. itll protect the mane from the sheet at least. also if its having problems going, if your hrose is stalled inside then you could try MTG. if hes outside 24/7 then dont use mtg itll bleach his mane. what i would do then is rub some mane & tail conditioner in, and braid it.

but first check the saddle pad and check for bots or other problems that could be causing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts