The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted a message in the 'breeding' forum asking whether or not it would be wise to breed my 13 yr old mare. I had many helpful replies and so now I just wait to see what the vet check results are as to whether I go ahead with the covering.

My mare is a pretty, 15hh, arabian derivative and I want the sire of the foal to be an Arabian or Arabian Derivative/Arabian cross.

I haven't started to seriously search for a stallion, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a well-bred/highly-accomplished boy that suits my loose criteria?

If it helps, my covering method will most likely be A.I. so I would require chilled or frozen semen. Also, I am based in Australia so that may greatly limit my choices!

Thank you for any suggestions :)

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
do you have photos of your mare and any lineage ? You should see what is available to you in Australia then post ( if the stallion owners allow it) a photo of the stallion showing his entire body and a photo of your mare with the lineages.
People may give an opinion then.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If you want the foal to be registered then you need to breed the mare to a purebred arabian stallion. Unless the mare is registered as a National Show horse or Anglo Arab.
I suggest that you find a purebred stallion that suits your needs and crosses well with your mare.
Good luck. Shalom

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Noran Arabians also have some beautiful horses. I personally can't go past Hawley Arabians though, they would have to be my faves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.