The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare has had a couple of these raw spots lately- on her legs, and her neck, and this one under her jaw. Are these Summer Sores?
I saw these and just went and picked up some ivermectin dewormer that specificly said 'removes the blah blah (i domt remember) that causes summer sores' and wormed her last night.
I'm treating them with furizone every day and they heal up pretty nicely, but keep reappearing. She's never had these before.

Green Sleeve Grey Working animal Woolen

·
Super Moderator
17,225 Posts
I'm treating them with furizone every day and they heal up pretty nicely, but keep reappearing. She's never had these before.
In reference to your use of furazone....
PLEASE, please use a barrier of glove on your hand you get the Furazone out of the container with or spread the ointment with.
Furazone is a known carcinogen to humans and for your protection use gloves or a barrier to safeguard you.
The threat and known increase of risk has been known about for many years, but few fully read labels of how to use.

Furicin also known as Furazone is a wonderful drug to use under the right conditions and with safety precautions in place....
🐴 ..

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
For Habronemiasis (summer sores) treatment you can mix ivermectin paste with topical steroids and SWAT fly ointment and cover the wounds with it. It's important to keep the wounds covered and prevent flies from spreading the larvae. Your vet is the only one who can diagnose Habronema reliably and he can give you a course of treatment. It's prevalent in the desert southwest, not so much in the rest of the country.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
it could be onchocerciasis is an infestation of the Onchocerca genus of roundworm, also referred to as neck threadworms. Ivermectin etc can help the eruptions. I had luck with the quests dewormer also . They could also be hCutaneous habronemiasis is a skin disease of Equidae caused in part by the larvae of the spirurid stomach worms in the genera Draschia and Habronema . Both are treated with wormers. Ivermectin, quest, etc. Yuo have to worm often and keep the sore covered with the wormer .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts