The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm new at this...I've only ever owned one horse and it was a chestnut. Now I own a fleabitten grey appendix that has a pink nose. I just bought him a crusader long nose fly mask (with ears) to help protect his face from sunburn. I heard another woman out there that owns a grey horse as well and she said even though her horse has dark skin and no pink, last year his back got REALLY sunburnt and peeled really badly so she was going to get him a sheet this year for turnout. I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but what kind of sheet do you get them for something like that? I looked at one website and they had 'fly' sheets and 'protector' sheets but neither of them said anything about UV protection. Also I was wondering if there are topical products for horses to protect them from the sun, horsey sunscreen? Horsey sunscreen with fly protection?? Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
get a sheet that doesnt allow sun through eg; fly mesh. fly mesh will still allow the sun to get through.

im in australia and i dont know if you have this product over there but i use Filta-Bac on my fillys nose. she is dark bay but has a white/pink muzzle. even if you dont have it there there will be something equally as good. the filta bac is good cause it also has an antibiotic type component that helps fix any burning that may have already occured. no matter how hard you try the sunscreen will not last all day. ive tried and tried lol as they eat, rub etc it wears off. adding the full fly veil is a good idea too :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
zinc works for sunscreen on their noses cuz it doesnt usually come off when they drink. :)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
No need to spend a lot of $$s on special sunscreen. Just get a generic waterproof SPF65 one used for babies.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
^ I agree , I got that for my paint's pink nose and it worked really well, I think I picked a bottle up at the store Big Lots for maybe $2-$3.00 if that

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use Desitin diaper ointment for noses. It is thick and greasy and I don't have to reapply it often. It handles the tank nose dunking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts