The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
He does look a bit pink ( like a mild sunburn) and it looks like he may have gotten bit by something and that is what he is rubbing open. To prevent the sunburn get some spf 50 sunscreen in the baby or sensitive skin kind. My boy does not love sunscreen so I only apply every other day to once a week but it definitely still helps. I also put sunscreen in my fly spray (homemade) but you could buy some with sunscreen in it or add it to your existing fly spray. I find this helps quite a bit.

·
Registered
Kyzer *MG* - 2007 16.1hh Grey American Trakehner Gelding
13 Posts
Is this sunburn?
I know he’s dirty. He hates water on his face. View attachment 1133539
View attachment 1133538
Ouch! Definitely looks like a sunburn, and being that sun burns can be itchy your horse is probably itching it raw, hence the scabs. I would put some sun cream on him (I like the Aveeno brand cause it’s very gentle) and a fly mask with a nose piece to keep it covered. Good luck!! I know that sucks. :( Oh and maybe some Aloe Vera too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think sunburn to. I'd say put Aloe Vera on it to sooth it then apply sunscreen, or a zinc ointment that acts as a healer and a sunscreen such as Potties white ointment. Get him in a fly-vale with a nose protector and he'll be right as rain. My mare burns in the summer and Potties white ointment is an amazing healer and sunscreen, once he's heeled you could use a zinc stick on him.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Sunburn. Something soothing at night and my preference is a mineral based sun screen. Best is a fly mask with nose guard.
We have a donkey with an unpigmented nose who wears one of these in summer.

Be very careful with sunscreen on an already inflamed nose - they're not exactly gentle chemicals and you could end up with contact dermatitis on top of sunburn. Get a physical shade on the horse with one of these nose guard fly masks and if you want to apply sunscreen to any horse (unbroken skin only!) zinc oxide is your least chemically nasty bet and works well but very messy and attracts dirt. Soothe that skin with aloe vera etc and keep that nose out of the sun until it's healed. You can stitch a thick square of light-coloured cotton to your horse's existing fly mask to make an instant shade if your shops are far away.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
That's why I don't use chemical sunscreens. They cause burns on me. I use mineral based and that is what I recommend.
Sorry, @QtrBel - though I quoted your post, I was actually speaking to the OP, and I don't know that was clear. And yes, zinc oxide is one of the mineral sunscreens. So is titanium dioxide, but I do prefer the zinc because it's not such a problem if some happens to get absorbed...

We also know someone whose chemical sunscreen leaked all over a metal tray in their boot and it stripped the paint off that tray...but in general, we steer clear of the stuff because of the fact that these are industrial chemicals and some of them do get absorbed through the skin - and we're already carrying too many industrial chemicals in our body fat and blood just because we live in modern times to want to add any more...

·
Banned
1,789 Posts
OP, your question has already been addressed, but I'll add my $.02 anyway.
I have a new Horse; a young "Kentucky Spotted Mountain Horse". (Whatever, That's what his papers say.)
He has a very fair complexion, and blue eyes. I was given the pleasure of assigning him a name, and after a little bit of consideration, maybe 10 seconds, I named him "El Rosado"; "The Pink". We call him Rosado or Rosy.
Anyway, he came from a forested, low elevation home in Kentucky to a far more sparsely shaded property at about 6500ft SouthEast of Denver.
I worried about his Pink nose, and the even Pinker skin around his eyes. He has been happily wearing a face covering all day long, nearly every day since he has been here. I check his face at least twice a day, and they appear to be working for him. I have also tried some "child" Banana Boat sunscreen on him. He doesn't appreciate having it slathered on his snout, but that appears to work as well.
The first face covering I got for him came from Nag Horse Ranch; it is sorta funny looking, but it works well. He also has a couple of the Weatherbeeta fly masks with "nose and ears". These seem to work too; a little less coverage around his nose, and I had to cut some stitching to make an opening for his forelock. And more recently cut out the "ears" for him as well. Based on a couple of months of use, Rosy seems to prefer the NagHorse one, just FWIW.
You can laugh, I do:
Horse Sky Cloud Vertebrate Liver

Edit to attach: El Rosado in the buff.
Horse Tire Wheel Vehicle Working animal

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I personally have to use baby sunscreen on myself because i’ve gotten chemical burns from that cheap spray on sunscreen. He also doesn’t like fly spray on his face so the fly mask will help with that. See i can bathe him but he has set back and almost flipped over before while i was bathing him so it’s a rare occasion. Good thing is he loves grooming.
I’ve also been burnt during the winter here in Texas. So he will probably have it on most of the year.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I use powdered sunscreen on my horses with pink noses. You can buy it especially for horses, or buy powdered, cosmetic grade (fine) zinc oxide. Cheap and works great. It is surprisingly sticky, but does not attract dirt like the wet stuff. I just apply it with a sponge. At first the horses find it annoying but they get used to it quickly.

·
Super Moderator
15,869 Posts
Just a note here about "baby" and "child" sunscreens. Those designations do not mean they are mineral based. Many are either all chemical with lower percentages, mixed types of chemicals rather than just one or two or even chemicals mixed with minerals. You have to read the back to know for sure.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Just be sure to have the vet check the skin on her nose. Squamous cell carcinoma is a common skin cancer and can spread or get bigger. It's easy to freeze off if caught early.
While this is true, you can save a lot of money and keep the vet on probably more important work by simply shading the area immediately and seeing if it heals, which it should within a week or so if it's sunburn - but carcinomas won't. The week's difference won't be a serious delay problem if there is any carcinoma. It does actually look like severe sunburn. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts