The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a appaloose horse with a pink muzzle. He got a sunburn on his nose. Its not very bad but it irritates him. I was wondering what type of sunscreen would be best for him and what would soothe the sunburn he already has.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I always just use a high SPF cream. Sprays tend to spook them. I use a sport type sunscreen thats waterproof and rub proof.

When I forget or my mare gets burned I will usually just put aloe on it like I would do myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Lots of white faces here. We skip the sunscreen and go right to zinc oxide (diaper rash) creme. Get the generic Max strength at Walmart in the baby aisle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: shaggy

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Diaper rash cream? Never heard of using it. How does it work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sunblock/zinc oxide info...

There are differences between the two main types of sunscreens: physical and chemical. A chemical sunscreen is absorbed by the skin. Sunlight is deactivated or degraded after contact with the organic chemicals contained in the sunscreen. Chemical sunscreens typically contain a range of ingredients like benzones, aminobenzoic acid and cinnamates that, together, protect against UVA and UVB.
A physical block, in contrast, sits on the skin’s surface and contains inorganic compounds like titanium dioxide or zinc oxide that are not absorbed into the skin. In this case, light is either absorbed into sunblock material or reflected away from the skin, similar to a mirror or aluminum foil. Ingredients in physical sunblocks protect against both UVA and UVB and, because they are not absorbed into the skin, they are nonirritating and nonallergenic.
The ideal sunscreen would be a physical block using titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Titanium dioxide is derived from titanium, a highly reflective white chalky mineral. In addition to being nonirritating and nonallergenic, titanium dioxide is non-comedogenic, meaning that it doesn’t produce or aggravate acne. The Food and Drug Administration, in its monograph on sunscreens, lists it as one of the most effective active ingredients for sun protection. Zinc oxide also provides physical protection from damaging rays, absorbing primarily UVA light rather than scattering or reflecting it. It is also a mild antimicrobial and wound healing substance and is considered to be non-comedogenic.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I use zinc oxide, too. My mare has sensitive skin and if her half pastern burns it will sometimes dry up and create open wounds and she'll swell up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A long nose fly mask does the trick also (and you don't have to keep applying sunscreen!). My boy either rubs his nose in the dirt or sticks his nose in the water trough as soon as I apply the sunscreen, so a mask works great.

·
Registered
279 Posts
diaper cream!

When my old man would get sun burned, I would put it on the sunburn and it soothed it. And then I would put it on once a day to keep her from getting sunburned after that first time of the year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.