The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My paint is an apron face with pink all over his face, nose, eyes, lips! he will sneeze if anything touches over his nose about 3 inches above his nostrils so no low masks for him! so i have a small one that covers over his eyes and end just below his cheeks. His nose burns bad and he wont go into shade or anything he likes to sun himself, and to eat and hates being away from the herd so keeping him inside wont work.

sunscreen that is kinda cheeper or anything to help keep his little(big) sensitive pink nose from burning and getting really sore!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We bought a bald faced paint in November and are dealing with the same thing. We tried a long nosed mask...he wouldn't keep it on. We finally found an earless shorter mask that he will tolerate for a few days at a time and it keeps his pink eye protected.

For his nose, we use one of the roll on stick sunscreens. We tried the "Water Babies" brand of coppertone but it was too runny and if he even saw us walking toward him with it, he would bolt. The stick costs about $5 and is lasting quite a while.

He seems to like the roll on one. He will stand still for it and seems to think it is some type of face massage or something!!

And yes, he will also refuse to stand in the shade. If only we could reason with them. LOL

·
Registered
943 Posts
yep, Dollar STore diaper rash ointment. Kinda messy, but it works and is cheap.

Fay

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I had a blue eyed white that was absolutely determined to become a sorrel (in the high California desert!). I would go out to the barn during the hottest parts of the day and find her lying flat on her side, sunbathing!

She wore a bonnet mask for her ears and eyes, but wouldn't tolerate a sheet or anything around the lower face. If we tried to keep her in, she'd kick the boards in! So... she'd burn around the nose and lips, the flanks and even parts of her belly if we didn't keep her slathered in diaper rash cream. She wasn't white most of the summer, but the dirt that sticks to the cream works as sunblock, too.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha well his nose seems to be super sensitive and always has he is very careful with it and wont just touch things like everyone else! then he gets a nice burn on it and its pretty much impossible to ride him at that point!

He hates things on his nose ive tried baby sunscreen and he will back away and trot off! he hates anything being put on it! everything but food that it! haha

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would use the spray on sunscreen on his nose, even though he wears a long fly mask, just to be safe. I would spray it in my hand and then rub it on his nose. I liked it because it dried quickly and if wasn't sticky, so he couldn't rub it off (like he did with the zinc oxide).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Be aware that besides the strong sun, there are a number of plants/weeds that grow in pastures that can cause hypersensitivity to the sun causing them to burn much more easily in the mouth and nose areas.

Reactions: karliejaye

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hes in a dirt pasture, hes out in the grass only for a few hours a few days a week.

he wears a small mask long ones bug him and he will get them off. so his end a few inches below his eyes.

he doesnt like the smell of sunscreen... and its usually just me doing this.

does the zinc oxide, diper rash cream smell much??

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Photosensitivity can be fatal as it will involve the liver, and not only certain plants, such as aslike clover or St. John's Wort can work with the sun, but medications and grooming supplies as well.

I had a Paint that I battled this with, he was, by the time I realized something was going on, was literally orange in his muzzle from nostrils down. His white hair, was very brittle and dry and looked like sand on a beach when waves have washed over it and receded.

Liver enzyme tests showed we had caught it before damage was done, but the yellowing was jaundice.

Had to keep him off pasture during sunlight hours and in dry lot, only out in dark.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Horse Stallion Mane Livestock Foal

Ive been trying to get him to wear these, so i threw it on him last night to see if he would wear it and he seemed okay and only sneezed a few times then he was done and ate some hay and grain. so i left it on last night and this morning he had it off!! so now hes back to the small one that stops at his cheeks :|

my other two have ones that go down farther and one has that one on too and he loves it and keeps it on! but Flash will take it off but will keep the small one on for days!!! ive had the vet out and he didn't find anything wrong with him. im going in with my dogs soon to see if he has any tips or suggestions.

my boys will go through a few masks a year! even the expensive ones will be trashed...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I noticed on my horses with pink muzzles that certain fly sprays made them sunburn. I haven't noticed it happening with Final-T or Pyrahna fly sprays. Other than that I use the Coppertone spf 85 on them. I buy it in bulk for me and the family and I haven't had any issues since I started using it on the horses and stopped with the other fly sprays.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the fly spray doesnt seem to affect him, but ill probably be putting a fly sheet on him i just found it! his nose is the only thing that burns! plus the rest of his face and eyes so thats why he wears a mask all the time! but he hates the sunscreen and trys to get away!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.