The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know this has probably already been asked before but I wasn't able to find a post regarding this topic. My QH mare has a poor tail and what's made it even worse is that she has had sweet itch (now recovering) and has rubbed the hell out of it! So I'm wondering is there anything I can feed her to help her tail and mane grow quicker and fuller? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Flax seed and MTG. Flax you can get in a huge sack from a feed store. The MTG is a product you can find at your local tack store. It STINKS like bacon grease but it grows hair and cures just about any skin problem and grows hair like a weed. Besides that's, keep the tail clean and braided up in a tube sock. Attach pieces of yarn for a nice long fly swatter! Don't brush it unless you have washed, conditioned, and detangled it thoroughly. Every strand counts!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Flax does help. You could also try something like Nu Image. It has all the ingredients for healthy hair growth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go with the MTG, it does smell bad but that stuff really works. A bottle only costs about $16 and should last you a while. It will condition the skin and help produce new hair growth

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
MTG does NOT grow hair!

The bottle specifically says 'promotes' hair growth.

Heck - I do too.

Genetics are the primary factor in hair growth. Nutrition, environment and age follow closely behind.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
There's a newer MTG called MTG Plus that is supposed to have an herbal scent. I haven't seen it in person but it can't smell worse than the original :)

ETA- I also second the flax and the disclaimer that genetics has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
MTG does NOT grow hair!

The bottle specifically says 'promotes' hair growth.

Heck - I do too.

Genetics are the primary factor in hair growth. Nutrition, environment and age follow closely behind.
This.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I agree, genetics does have a lot to do with it but good care can help a bad situation too. I use MTG on the roots of the mane and tail to help keep the skin healthy. That will help stop the rubbing off of the hair. I use a human hair oil on the ends to keep them from breaking off. I prefer Africa's Best Herbal Oil that you can get at Walmart. It's in the African American hair products section. I leave both the MTG and hair oil in and braid the hair.
I also feed ground flax year round. Not sure it it helps with the hair growth but it sure gives them a pretty coat shine.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Biotin (in most hoof supplements) can help strengthen both hooves and manes and tails, meaning less hair breakage and thicker hair.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've owned my appy mare for nine years, since she was three.
The entire time she has had a fuzzy foal mane. Her tail while decent remained short.

Last Aug. I put her on the CA trace minerals and flax seed.
Now her tail slightly touches the ground and her mane is long enough to lay over and is glossy.

Her tail is never going to be full and lush but it is a pretty nice tail.

I totally believe that mane and tail growth comes from what is applied inside not on the outside.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Genetics, of course, are going to play 95% of the hair growth. But if your not taking proper care of the hair, like frantically brushing it, you horse isnt getting proper vitamins/minerals or they are rubbing it from dry skin. A horse with bad hair genes may never get that thick, long tail and forelock, but you can certainly help it out by giving it ideal or better then ideal conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.